A real "LED X halide" thread, scientifically. LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two problems with the recent video discussing uvb.

1. He touched on temperature briefly. The technology of his system isn’t revolutionary or even new. Using a bare reflector will result in a reflector that is hot to the touch. He simply puts an outer metal jacket around the reflector, with a small air-barrier between reflector and exterior housing. Hamilton, giesemann, sunlight supply, and coralvue have been doing this for decades. My lumenbright reflectors were cool to the touch also, as they were built the same way. The concern was the radiant heat downward. Not upward.

It is a sneaky tactic used in an attempt to convince people the heat equation has finally been solved. It hasn’t. In many circumstances, the radiant heat downward still heats the water undesirably when using halides. I’ve never cared what the top of my reflectors feel like. Obviously people in cold climates with spacious infrastructure and ventilation don’t mind, as it can be a benefit. Or those who are just ok with paying to play and run a big chiller….or those who are just ok with evaporating 2-3% of their water volume daily and living in a 85% humidity home.

One way or another, it is addressed, and how you choose to live with it is your business….but let’s not pretend that bulbs which function literally on heating gas to very high temperatures, suddenly don’t get hot. That is patent nonsense. And the irony of it, is the only people who will fall for it are those who already are halide loyalists. I cannot imagine a significant amount of new hobbyists stumbled on this video and changed their mind on how to run their tank based on the tricky data presented. I digress point 1…

2. Presence of something does not imply biological necessity. There are trace amounts of gold and silver in seawater. That doesn’t mean it provides any biological function whatsoever (it may, I don’t know). Just like compounds in the air we breathe are brought in, and promptly expelled, providing zero benefit to respiration.

Uvb may be the same as above (I don’t know). But we don’t need to stop there. Wavelengths get shorter and shorter from the sun down to gamma levels, as mentioned by others on here. They get longer as well into radio wave levels. Again. Doesn’t mean they have a biological importance. Someone found a uvb meter and messed around with it and made a video. Nowhere at all does it ever indicate any actual use for uvb. Maybe it is beneficial. But you can’t make that deduction from the video. And to do so is irresponsible interpretation of “data”. That video should be seen as a glorified podcast. Just some dudes talking. Nothing presented in it has any scientific basis whatsoever, down to the way the “experiments” were performed.

I’m fine with the video. I could see how fans would find it entertaining. But let’s not present it as some sort of breakthrough

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't get the utility of this debate... I do however, see a whole lot of tilting at windmills.

Yes, it's never really a debate anymore these days. Just mine is better than yours type stuff. The LED vs MH vs T5 etc is over. They all work and grow corals just fine. Different approach and applications to all of them.

My posts are not meant to prove anything. Just more of a rant towards distributors and an old man screaming at the sky!

Look at the positive though. This light vs light thread is 10 pages in and it hasn't been shutdown yet. No name calling, no tears, and no bloodshed. I guess there is hope after all!

RedoubtReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of the info that I have been posting for years here:

Have fun and enjoy watching!
The information in the video isn't really to "condemn" or "hate" LEDs, but to show some of the facts of both technologies.
There is no argument, really!
I've been posting all that since loooong ago.
Halides are the best representation of natural sunlight.

Screen Shot 2023-01-27 at 6.12.39 PM.png

fantastic video! Thanks for posting this.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at the positive though. This light vs light thread is 10 pages in and it hasn't been shutdown yet. No name calling, no tears, and no bloodshed. I guess there is hope after all!
That is because I am on the sidelines instead of on the field using fact as a sledgehammer... :astonished-face:

I don't have it in my anymore. Easier to just shake my head and be entertained ;)

Not saying there have not been good points made here.... Just nothing new whatsoever. Same bar, same conversation, different day!

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

There is that. Good morning btw.

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is because I am on the sidelines instead of on the field using fact as a sledgehammer... :astonished-face:

I don't have it in my anymore. Easier to just shake my head and be entertained ;)

Not saying there have not been good points made here.... Just nothing new whatsoever. Same bar, same conversation, different day!

Don't retire the sledgehammer just yet. We might need you to come in looking like Thor on some issues! Forums need more of that these days.

Same bar it is. Drinks are on me this round. :)

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes, next time just copy and paste this thread and move on. Please!

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What the heck...throw " random" vids .

:)

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, can you post some pics of your setup? Always been curious what you run and how your reef tank is set up.
I don't have one. Most know that.
I was wondering who would go there.
I consider reef lighting an academic exercise.

Think about this though...how many criticizing LED lights have used them or more important used all of them for any length of time?
Most rely on other peoples observations...right?
Just as I do.

Reactions: Bpb

RedoubtReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have one. Most know that.
I was wondering who would go there.
I consider reef lighting an academic exercise.

Think about this though...how many criticizing LED lights have used them or more important used all of them for any length of time?
Most rely on other peoples observations...right?
Just as I do.
I actually used LED for over a decade after first running halides and now I'm going back. I was an early adopter of the Gen1 Radion's. Seriously though, if your going to advocate so hard, you should have some real world experience. Other wise, it seems like the opinion of a lobbyist.
Start a build thread dude and get that tank going!

wrassie86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually used LED for over a decade after first running halides and now I'm going back. I was an early adopter of the Gen1 Radion's. Seriously though, if your going to advocate so hard, you should have some real world experience. Other wise, it seems like the opinion of a lobbyist.
Start a build thread dude and get that tank going!
Another vote for oreo54 starting that tank.. building his own LED light and growing acros that make jaws hit the ground.

Semisonyx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 3 of running the halide (I did swap the hammy for a Radium) in lieu of my middle LED fixture. Only thing I’ve seen an increase in is peak daily temperature.

Attachments

• 61D4A778-CEE1-4E2E-BFE4-3DB9EE9096B6.jpeg
    61D4A778-CEE1-4E2E-BFE4-3DB9EE9096B6.jpeg
    89.3 KB · Views: 17
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 4 100.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

• I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

• I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Back