A return to the hobby build (Reefer 170)

astiesi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After being away from the hobby for a few years I've decided I've been away long enough and found a spot in the house for a small mixed reef tank. The footprint I'm looking for is something in the 24"x20"x20". I want a setup with a sump and some flexibility in terms of what can be added below it, all without looking to expand much outside of the stand. For perspective, here is a picture of the desired location. The door on the right is a double door to my office and the left side door is rarely opened. We've had furniture there before so not intrusive at all with that footprint.

20210921_190755 (2).jpg

I also told myself that I would not buy a new tank without a proper RO & water change setup. My RO unit was in need of some new filters and a good cleaning, having made about 10 gallons a week for the last 5 years to sustain a 15 gallon FOWLR tank which houses just a couple of clowns. Here it is, new filters and ready to go, 2 tds coming out of the RO, 0 tds coming out of the DI stage.

20210926_190340.jpg

And finally, even with the success of my 65g going back nearly 10 years ago now, I never really graduated from 5 gallon buckets. It was this brute force method which resulted in multiple floods and the ruining of a laminate floor. This time it would have to be different. So I decided to build a proper water station, with the top container holding my RO water with a float valve and the bottom setup with a mixing pump and soon to have a hose connected. This hose will allow me to fill the tank in the house from the garage, with no 5 gallon buckets required.

20211002_162713.jpg

So now that my pre-reqs are just about complete (have to clean up the mix container and work a bit on the plumbing), I have started looking at tanks. I was just about sold on the Red Sea Reefer 170, as it has the perfect footprint and is a very nice setup. However, I've also seen the Waterbox Marine X 60.2, which has a similar footprint with a bigger sump. Does anyone here have any feedback on one vs. the other? Any other contenders out there with a similar footprint?

Whichever way I go I will post the equipment list here as I decide on one piece of gear vs. another. I sold most of my 65g setup so I'll be treating this as a start from scratch scenario.

Oh, and have patience as this will be a slow build.

Up-to-date Equipment List

TankRed Sea Reefer 170
Return PumpReef Octopus VarioS-2 DC Pump
SkimmerBubble Magus Curve 5 Elite
HeaterEheim JAGER 150W Heater
Heater ControllerInkbird ITC-308
LidCustom Screen Lid - An nstiesi production
PowerheadRed Sea ReefWave 25
LightingRadion XR15 G5 Blue LED

Last edited:
OP
OP
astiesi

astiesi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I finally made up my mind and ordered the tank. I went with the Red Sea Reefer 170. I also ordered a Varios-2 to use as the return pump. First time with a DC pump so looking forward to playing with it a bit, see if they are really quieter than my old AC pumps. Cannot wait till they get here, will post lots of pictures as I setup.

Also wanted to mention, the water change center is life changing. I've been using it over the last few weeks on my little 15g and the ease at which a water change happens is unreal. Takes me 13 minutes now, no 5g buckets, no spills. Highly recommend to spend some focus there first, as it makes display maintenence enjoyable.

Any recommendations on salt? I used to swear by reef crystals but picked up a bucket of red sea salt to give it a try for the initial fill.

OP
OP
astiesi

astiesi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Received the freight notification that the tank has shipped. Not long now. Realizing I am still missing a ton of equipment. Guess its time to get back to researching.

Still need circulation pumps, skimmer, light, heater, and going to get a custom screened top.

OP
OP
astiesi

astiesi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And it has arrived...

20211104_100043.jpg

Packed really well, was a bit nervous about getting a shipped tank (every other one I ever owned came from a LFS). Opened it up to ensure no damage even with the wrapping and box looking pristine.

20211104_100057.jpg

Cannot wait to get it setup. Need to paint the area in the house where its going first so may still be a few weeks away, we'll see...

OP
OP
astiesi

astiesi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time for another update.

On Sunday I was finally able to build the stand and get the tank leveled and setup in its new home. Here is a picture to document the occasion. Continuing to be very impressed by Red Sea's attention to detail. Sure beats the DIY stuff I used to work almost exclusively with.

20211115_125548 (1).jpg

I did purchase a skimmer. Ended up grabbing a Bubble Magus Curve 5 Elite. Sill in the box for now so I'll report on what I think when I can finally get it up, running, and pulling out sludge.

The next issue I encountered was plumbing. I posted a thread here but could not get a clear answer, nor could I find anything on the web. Lots of mentions of the problem, no solid solutions offered. For those interested, the Red Sea 170 does come with 5/8" ID tubing and the 5/8" barb sized appropriately. Unfortunately, the RO Varios 2 pump I purchased, while publicizing 1/2" - 3/4" stepped barb, is completely incorrect in their sizing. After looking for the correct parts to make the connection everywhere, the only alternative I could find was to heat the 5/8" tubing and force onto the 3/4" barb.

I personally hate forcing things when it comes to plumbing so in comes my brother who is a wizard in the shop. He 3D printed a proper barb out of PET-G. Since I decided to go with a DC pump, I'm not going to throttle/restrict the return, so pressure isn't especially a concern. Pics below:

WhatsApp Image 2021-11-16 at 9.18.52 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-11-16 at 9.19.11 PM.jpeg

Finally, I know I wanted to buy a proper screen lid for this tank to prevent my clowns (who I've now had in a FOWLR tank for a few years now) from jumping. Besides being expensive, lead time is tough on these things so again, enter the shop wizard. He looked at a few of the options out there and will build it for me using his CNC router. I've ordered the 1/2" clear polycarbonate, screening materials, and spline and should have a high end lid for less than $80 in materials. Will post pictures once complete.

Hoping to have water in it by the weekend.

Still deciding on lighting and flow, so any recommendations are welcome.

OP
OP
astiesi

astiesi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quite a bit to update on.

Managed to take some time and work on my aquascape. Following my previous experience I wanted no part of simply stacking in the tank. Inevitably, I always knock something over and crush a coral. So I picked up some EMarco-400 mortar and went for it. I cannot adequately describe how happy I am with the way it turned out.

20211119_134338.jpg

Also found the time to rinse the sand, add the aquascape, and get some saltwater mixed and added. Again, so happy with the result. Taking my time and getting everything just how I want it is starting to pay off. Picture below with and without water.

20211120_122220.jpg

20211120_163913.jpg

I am giving MicroBacter Start/Quickcycle a try as I cycle. In the past I've used raw shrimp and seeded with a small live rock, but I'm in no rush and figured I'd try this method and see how it works out.

As for the sump/equipment, I am again taking my time and attempting to really organize the cabinet. I've added LED cabinet lighting for when I'm working down there, mounted power and really put some thought into how things are wired up. So far so good.

20211120_163954.jpg

The one issue I've experienced through the setup this week is my stock Red Sea ATO is leaking from a seam. I've contact Red Sea today and am awaiting a reply next week. Luckily, its a very slow drip right above the ATO outlet and I'm getting higher evaporation loss than the leak so for now, I'm leaving the ATO setup. I have a few weeks before livestock so I'm sure Red Sea will make it right before then.

OP
OP
astiesi

astiesi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick no picture update...

It's been a week and testing isn't showing much movement. Ammonia not coming down yet. Cannot understand how some products can claim 7 day cycle while using dry rock as my experience hasn't showed any real acceleration. Maybe its the product, time will tell. Starting to question not including some fresh live rock in this setup.

As for equipment, got the ATO reservoir replaced. Red Sea support made it easy. Very good customer service.

Also got my Reefwave 25 today and installed it. Impressed with it so far, very easy to setup. So far so good. Will give my impressions on in once I get some livestock in the tank and can start visualizing the flow a bit better.

Last, I will be receiving an XR15 blue unit tomorrow to light this tank. Will finally get to see it with some lighting which is the next step. All in all, coming along nicely.

OP
OP
astiesi

astiesi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a small update but I will include a picture for the few people following along.

Received my Radion XR15 Blue unit on Tuesday (11/29) and got it mounted. I opted to go with the diffuser as I don't really love the disco ball effect. Setup was very easy, it connected via the Mobius app first try, and had it lighting the tank in about 20 minutes. While I'm not running it right now for more than an hour a day (no inhabitants yet, no reason to feed the algae), I did snap a quick picture running in AB+ mode.

20211130_143052.jpg

OP
OP
astiesi

astiesi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still waiting on the tank to be ready for the transfer of my 2 clowns however I decided to do something I've always wanted to do and make a batch of homemade fish food for them. I may never get this smell off of my hands but it was pretty easy to do and the result after one feeding appears well received.

I made a small batch to start as I figure out a recipe but for now went with a bit of what I had around plus a few items from the grocery store.

Frozen and freeze dried mysis
Raw shrimp
Raw scallops
Raw clams
Nori
Selcon
Omega One

20211210_192517.jpg

OP
OP
astiesi

astiesi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As of Friday my params looked good so today I did a quick water change, moved my inkbird over, and transfered my clowns. Will take some pictures this week as they settle in.

Still need to break down my 15g and will probably drop some of the live rock in the sump. Want to wait for a bit of algea though before I transfer the entirety of the CUC so maybe another week or two of life for that tank before it's dry and broken down.

OP
OP
astiesi

astiesi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update, including a picture or two.

All of the livestock that I transferred over (2 clowns and a CUC) are doing well, water quality is holding up nicely. Stopped at the LFS for the first time in 5+ years and of course came home with a few small frags. Was hoping to just get a few cheap and easy frags to play the role of "canary in the mine" but also ended up with a really nice clove polyp frag. Hadn't seen this coloring in my first go at the hobby so figured I'd pick it up. My sub-par photography skills don't do it justice.

20211220_181919 copy.jpg

20211220_181929 copy.jpg

Otherwise, my brother will be cutting my top this week as he cut the wood prototype last weekend and it fit perfectly. Will take some pictures to show off his craftsmanship one I get it in place. Otherwise, I'll get these frags placed and glued this week and the tank will be on autopilot as I will be away for 5 days for New Year's.

OP
OP
astiesi

astiesi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the tank is doing its thing going through its "ugly" stage but the livestock appears to be thriving which is very cool to see. I do want to share pictures of the latest addition, the acrylic screen top which my brother CNC routed for me in his garage. It turned out better than I even expected. Not bad for his first time cutting acrylic on his DIY table I'd say.

WhatsApp Image 2021-12-29 at 7.57.59 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-12-29 at 7.57.58 PM.jpeg

OP
OP
astiesi

astiesi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Latest updates.

The clove polyps have been receding a bit, lost a couple polyps. The polyps that do open look good but not overly optimistic with what I'm seeing. The candy cane and zoas appear to be doing very well.

I ran a few tests last night and water looks ok. Nitrate 5.7, Phosphate 0.00. I'm having the typical hair algae outbreak right now so that's where the phosphates are currently going. Will test Calcium and Alkalinity tonight but I'm not expecting anything out of the ordinary there as my other corals look good.

I did turn down the intensity of the lights a bit to see if that makes a difference. Otherwise, I'll be ordering a CUC today for delivery next week and am hoping to hit the LFS at some point today or tomorrow. In the market for a YMG and Pistol Shrimp next.

OP
OP
astiesi

astiesi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A picture update. Added a pink spotted watchman goby this week. Otherwise, battling though the ugly stage so ignore the algae in the pictures. It's a work in progress.

Figured out the problem with the clove polyps as well. This light fixture is intense, dialed it back to 35% with the diffuser and everything looks great now. Cloves are already coming back.

20220108_182011.jpg

20220108_182108.jpg

20220108_182052.jpg

OP
OP
astiesi

astiesi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took a few pictures tonight. Haven't been back to the LFS in a few weeks, last trip picked up a splatter green hammer and pistol shrimp. Tomorrow may be a good day for a trip.

Otherwise, still battling cyano and HA but starting to win the battle. Tank is showing signs of maturing.

20220204_193220.jpg

20220204_193227.jpg
20220204_193239.jpg
20220204_193243.jpg
20220204_193301.jpg
20220204_193313.jpg

OP
OP
astiesi

astiesi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your R2R 170 looks great! What are you doing for top off?
Thanks! It is coming along nicely.

Right now still running the stock ATO. Haven't had to leave for more than a day or two yet so it's been fine and i keep the valve clean after it stalled on me once. However, will probably be looking at a few additions when it comes to automation before the summer, an ATO on the top of that list.

OP
OP
astiesi

astiesi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally an update after about 3 months idle...

The tank has been a bit on auto-pilot as it matured. Unfortunately the clove polyp colony has slowly wasted away to next to nothing. I say next to nothing as it was completely gone and in the last week I've seen a few nearly microscopic polyps appearing. Maybe it will grow back, maybe not, but it's cool to see it trying to hold on. Glad I was lazy and didn't remove the plug it was on.

Other than that, I've been keeping up on maintenance and the few corals have been spreading. The cyano is completely gone, still fighting with a bit of detritus and hair algae but both have been receding in the last few weeks so all in all, I'm very happy with the tank's progress. So much so I went to the LFS over the weekend and came home with a few new inhabitants. A six-line wrasse, a cleaner shrimp, and two zoa frags. Everything adjusted nicely and looks to like the new home.

20220503_163430 (1).jpg

20220503_163437 (1).jpg

20220503_163450 (1).jpg

20220503_163454.jpg

20220503_163508 (1).jpg

20220503_163515 (1).jpg

20220503_163612 (1).jpg

20220503_163639.jpg

Back