A salt that mixes "clear"

kstripp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys praising TMP, have bought lock stock and barrel into their marketing hype. It's the latest "salt of the month".

I use TM Pro for two reasons - the first is that I got tired of cleaning the gunk out of my mixing barrel that accumulated when I was using IO. TM Pro leaves virtually no residue in there. The second is that when mixed by mass, the salinity of TM Pro comes out spot on. IO always came out under salinity. I don't know why, but suspect that was related to the stuff in there that didn't dissolve and ended up as the residue on the barrel.

melanotaenia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HW Marinemix Reef mixes clear in minutes. I’ve used this salt since last year exclusively. Zero gunk.

I have heard good things about this salt, I wish the DKH were closer to 7.5-8 rather than 9, otherwise the parameters for this mix are pretty good and close to NSW.

melanotaenia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the end, salt is salt. Choose what makes you happy, they all work just as good as any other.
Given that the parameters with different salt mixes are vastly different, this statement is a little misleading. A salt like TM that mixes around 7.5 DKH and Red Sea Coral Pro mixing at 12 DKH are not going to both work "just as good"

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well one would have to use a little common sense...... If your salt mixes up to 12 and your used to 7, then obviously that won't work until you bring down the ALK. If you don't know how to manipulate your salt mix, that is lack of knowledge, not the salts fault.

But again, salt is salt. They all work.

Apparently common sense doesn't exist anymore.

There are many lovely tanks around here that use regular old purple box IO, and have corals growing out of the tank. Yet some people can't even grow GSP regardless of which salt they use.

jphilip813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I go with Tropic Marin...Although on the pricy mixes faster for me and clear....AND I use it within minutes at 79 degree temperature. I have the RO water stored in my laundry room where temperature in the winter is high since it is next to my boiler/AC room here in Maryland...But I seem to maintain a HGH Salinity (36.3ppm)

Attachments

• data.jpg
    data.jpg
    608.8 KB · Views: 12
  • data2.jpg
    data2.jpg
    327.9 KB · Views: 11

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will bow out of this thread though as the bantering back and forth isn't contributing to the original context of the thread.

This is turning into another "My salt is better then your salt thread."

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used IO for years. A tip I used is mix it for several hours then turn off the pump and the cloudy water will clear over night and you will see the sediment on the bottom.
Have not used it in quite a while as I use ESV and it mixes clear in 10 minutes and is ready to go if you run 9.5 alk.
I reduce it to 7 so it takes a little longer.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 19 30.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 82.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back