OP
lil sumpin

lil sumpin

Digital Sponge
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I dunno how much I can credit the chaetomorpha that's tossing in the AC50 at the moment but I think it has had some effect on the green algae on the liferock. The chaeto doesn't grow out much as I dont have any direct light on it but I'm sure it gets some ambient lighting from the reef breeders nano LED. Phosphates are around .25 and nitrate is somewhere between 25-50ppm (still kinda hard to distinguish the colors on the salifert test kit)

The tisbe pods I seeded into the system have exploded, I can see white specks on every corner of the glass and I often see an amphipod or two circling around the specks. I introduced tisbe pods shortly after the cycle was complete in order to bolster CUC and add some more biodiversity to the lifelessrock. I think they helped to rid the brown algae that appeared shortly after the cycle but now I'm really beginning to see an explosion in their population.

Instead of doing larger 40-50% water changes every 2 weeks, I've started to do 20% weekly water changes. This is probably what's helping the most with the nutrient export and balancing out the water parameters. I'm not knocking the reef glass skimmer, it produces some filthy looking ish but I've yet to see it produce a thicker heavier skimmate, it mostly hocks out the wet stuff. Will continue to use, but only for 8-10 hours a day.

Would love to add some fish one day though I don't think it'll be in 2023. About 14-15 years ago I had a FOWLR that ran for about 2 years before I introduced a diseased royal gramma. I personally didn't do my HW, being a teenager at the time and feigning ignorance even though I had read a couple threads about quarantining. Didnt pay it enough mind and dam sure did I learn! I got a 20g, heater and filter set aside and ready for when the time comes for a QT tank. For now I'm just looking to eventually add a turbo snail or two and a peppermint shrimp.

11/20
Salinity - 1.026
pH - 8.3
Alkalinity - 9.5
Calcium - 420
Magnesium - 1400
Nitrate - 25-50
Phosphorus - .25

about 3 weeks ago:

1700521993264.png

and today:

1700522019670.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
lil sumpin

lil sumpin

Digital Sponge
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
IMG_8713.jpeg

Planning on taking some of the frags off the plugs and finally gluing them onto the rock work in another week or two

Sunkist bounce finally split into two. Was cool to see that happen literally in 5-6 weeks of getting it

Was hard not to look at sales and buy stuff over the weekend. Instead of buying new frags, bought new gear for a 20 long that I intend to set up in a few more months

Tmr is water change Wednesday, planning to drop in about 2.5gallons which is approximately 20% of the entire volume. Parameters have been looking a lot better as of late and the frags are starting to look happier

Cheers reefers

OP
OP
lil sumpin

lil sumpin

Digital Sponge
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Picked up a toadstool leather and a goniopora since last post. They’re mostly acclimated into the system, rest of the frags are doing alright. Thankfully green algae didn’t take over the system though there are still smaller patches of it throughout the tank. Back glass appears to have some green coralline, with tiny specks of pink and purple and an abundance of amphipods and copepods

I need to finally glue these guys on the rock work but I haven’t figured out where exactly yet..

12/09/23 about 140 days of reefing later:

IMG_8820.jpeg IMG_8816.jpeg IMG_8867.jpeg

the fuzzy green shroom is starting its takeover

Cheers!

Last edited:
OP
OP
lil sumpin

lil sumpin

Digital Sponge
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
After months I think I’ve finally figured out alkalinity consumption. I usually test the day before a WC and typically see 8.5dKh. The reef crystals salt I’m mixing has been testing out to be at 9.5. A 20% WC can only bring the alkalinity up so much so I’ve been testing 2-3 times in btwn WC and I think I’m looking at .4 or .5dKh consumed every 2-3 days. Does this seem normal?

Calcium has little fluctuation; throughout the week I’ll see it drop 10-20ppm. Alk usually drops a whole degree or even more in 7-8 days. Everything seems to be doin alright. Latest additions are some big toadstools a local hobbyist gave me for free. I don’t think I’ll have room for fish at this rate

Cheers

IMG_9195.jpeg

Last edited:

Cdavis66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After months I think I’ve finally figured out alkalinity consumption. I usually test the day before a WC and typically see 8.5dKh. The reef crystals salt I’m mixing has been testing out to be at 9.5. A 20% WC can only bring the alkalinity up so much so I’ve been testing 2-3 times in btwn WC and I think I’m looking at .4 or .5dKh consumed every 2-3 days. Does this seem normal?

Calcium has little fluctuation; throughout the week I’ll see it drop 10-20ppm. Alk usually drops a whole degree or even more in 7-8 days. Everything seems to be doin alright. Latest additions are some big toadstools a local hobbyist gave me for free. I don’t think I’ll have room for fish at this rate

Cheers

IMG_9195.jpeg
Do you think there is an issue with 8.5 dKh? I've been running mine around 7.5-8 with no issue... I haven't really dosed any alk honestly and water change about 20% every 10-14 days

Also I love the toadstools I'm growing mine slowly but surely. I've had it just over a month and have noticed growth already.

OP
OP
lil sumpin

lil sumpin

Digital Sponge
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do you think there is an issue with 8.5 dKh? I've been running mine around 7.5-8 with no issue... I haven't really dosed any alk honestly and water change about 20% every 10-14 days

Also I love the toadstools I'm growing mine slowly but surely. I've had it just over a month and have noticed growth already.

I don’t think alk at 8.5 is any issue. Just dosing to keep it from dipping below 8.5

OP
OP
lil sumpin

lil sumpin

Digital Sponge
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
we have FISH!

IMG_9292.jpeg

IMG_9299.jpeg

Adopted these two from a local reefer who’s breaking down his system. Very healthy, active little guys that seem to be loving their new home. The clown goby hops between toadstools and perches on the rock often while the sixline wrasse enjoys patrolling and pecking away at pods. He’s been a model citizen thus far

Last edited:

Cdavis66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we have FISH!

IMG_9292.jpeg

IMG_9299.jpeg

Adopted these two from a local reefer who’s breaking down his system. Very healthy, active little guys that seem to be loving their new home. The clown goby hops between toadstools and perches on the rock often while the sixline wrasse enjoys patrolling and pecking away at pods. He’s been a model citizen this far
Yay! Fish are so fun to watch. The goby is awesome!!! Love how he's chillin.

OP
OP
lil sumpin

lil sumpin

Digital Sponge
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
1707268870843.png

...missed a spot

1707268914483.png

The green film algae comes back in about 2-3 days after scraping. I let it go for about a week-ish even though it’s a bit tougher to get off w the magnetic scrubber at that point. Always loved the MagFloat but realizing they’re not the best w this kinda algae in particular.

The fish get prime flakes and frozen mysis 4-5 times a week and both seem pretty happy. The reef glass skimmer put in a lotta work last week. Heavier feeding would mean heavier export, might feed them a little less honestly. Tank was fish less for the first 6 months so I’m curious to see what’s gonna unfold in the next 6

Last edited:
OP
OP
lil sumpin

lil sumpin

Digital Sponge
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Didnt test nitrates and phosphates for a while.. was a little nervous about seeing the numbers cause I've been feeding sorta heavily but surprisingly they're not too concerning. They mostly resemble the numbers I've been seeing for weeks: Nitrate is 21ppm and Phosphate is .25ppm. Hanna LR Nitrate is a pretty lengthy test to run..

I don't see any visible dinoflagellates but something in my gut says they're present. Was pretty sure phosphate would be higher but I've read dry rock starts can bind phosphates for a while. I wonder if this is affecting my reading and the phosphate's actually like 2ppm. Will be continuing with aggressive weekly water changes (40-50%). The coral look alright and the fish are doing great so nothing really to complain about.

1708544495538.png

I've had this frogspawn since September, it was part of the original batch of LPS frags I had. Sadly it's the only one that it made but remarkably this one came back after losing tissue and some polyp bailout. Seeing a little more extension out of this goniopora.

1708544639673.png

A few days ago I was cleaning some salt creep off the corners of the tank using a damp microfiber towel. This corner chipped off so clean..

What the fudge @Aqueon???

1708543896785.png

No runners coming out the chip or anything, seems purely cosmetic at the moment but I'm HIGHLY considering extracting everything from this tank, thoroughly rinsing the sand bed out and placing everything into a brand new tank. Tank just hit 7 months, why's it chipping like that so quickly? Ultimately it's my fault for not running some searches on the quality of the tank before buying.

ralquist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Your corals look happy! That goni :star-struck:!! Do you have a second way to check your phosphate? Just to confirm your first test. Or test before and after your big water change? Just thinking out loud!
Dang I'd be leaving a bad review for whoever sold you that towel! That really stinks and only offer my condolences. I know 0 about glass damage but bright side is its above the water line! If you decide on a new one, if you stay around the same size you have all the gear needed!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.6%
Back