A Slightly Different Approach to Bean Drains ....

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why add all the extra bends?

In my box I run a bean setup with only stand pipes, no strainers, no elbows, nothin’.

Do you have issues with noise? Or?
Yeah- been doing this for 2 years since I upgraded my box to a exotic marine. Works perfect

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, but where's the fun in THAT ......

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The c2c overflow is 8" deep x 5" front to back x 54 wide.
That is a sizable overflow box. Don't think mine will be that long, though presumably of similar height and depth. Tank is supposed to ship Wednesday, though he was unspecific about which Wednesday LOL.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a sizable overflow box. Don't think mine will be that long, though presumably of similar height and depth. Tank is supposed to ship Wednesday, though he was unspecific about which Wednesday LOL.
What size is your tank going to be?

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any photos? You don’t get a louder sounding drain?
I just moved and am still setting the system back up, but no. If you set the secondary standpipe height so that the inner and outer box water levels are the same, there’s no noise.

That’s not something you can do with all overflow boxes, but the EM ones have an outer box that is higher than the inner, so it’s easy

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size is your tank going to be?
63L x 20D x 24H - needs to fit in a quite specific space. Assume the external box will be in the 36" long range.

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just moved and am still setting the system back up, but no. If you set the secondary standpipe height so that the inner and outer box water levels are the same, there’s no noise.

That’s not something you can do with all overflow boxes, but the EM ones have an outer box that is higher than the inner, so it’s easy

Hmmn ... having trouble visualizing. How far below the top rim of the external box is the mouth of the secondary? How about the emergency? Assume there is enough head space to be able to build a siphon if necessary?

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmn ... how far below the top rim of the external box is the mouth of the secondary? How about the emergency? Is there enough head space to be able to build a siphon if necessary?
Secondary is 3.5” below the top of the outer box, and the emergency is 2.5”. Emergency pulls a siphon just as the water touches the underside of the boxes eurobtace, giving 1/4” of spare room. If I cut the pipes back another 1/2” each, it would still work, but I’m still working on other items right now

Ive tested both the secondary and the emergency by plugging the relevant ends and yes- full siphon archived before any water come out of the box

I’ll re-state: you can’t do that on other boxes because of an engineering oversight. EM overflows - AFAIK- are the only ones that have a higher external box

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is prior to adding couplings. I use couplings with different lengths of pvc in them so I can tune it just by switching out the top portion of the standpipe. Main drain on left doesn’t get a coupling

F6203403-1217-4091-9CBB-17E8A36E16F3.jpeg

you can just see the internal bulkheads. The middle pipe will come up to 1” above the inner bulkhead with an additional piece of pvc, and that brings the water level up to the 1/4” below the height of the inner box weir slit. The connecting bulkheads are fully submerged and the outer box water level is the same as the inner, so no ‘drop’ and no splashing

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Secondary is 3.5” below the top of the outer box, and the emergency is 2.5”. Emergency pulls a siphon just as the water touches the underside of the boxes eurobtace, giving 1/4” of spare room. If I cut the pipes back another 1/2” each, it would still work, but I’m still working on other items right now

Ive tested both the secondary and the emergency by plugging the relevant ends and yes- full siphon archived before any water come out of the box

I’ll re-state: you can’t do that on other boxes because of an engineering oversight. EM overflows - AFAIK- are the only ones that have a higher external box
OK, thx. MM has the external box slightly higher as well.

galantra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I am actively working on my overflow box myself. Was going to follow what modular Marine suggested but your idea seems like something I wanna try. I have a 1800gph box but I am using couplings to bring it down to 1 inch plumbing so big concern for me is the sound and avoiding any possible overflowing

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 28 16.9%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 69 41.6%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 23 13.9%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 36 21.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.0%
Back