A successful frag tank "Know-How's"

Rob Top1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ reshaping a 55. I cut one in half height wise a few years back to make a Xenia filter. Were I wanted it I had 14" clearance do I needed it 10" tall. I got a diamond tip 7.5" circular saw blade for $15 from a overseas company, a $5 circular saw st a garage sale and s .99¢ bottle of cooking oil. 30 minutes later I was in the shower wishing I used a garbage bag as an apron but had a really cool tank. I was do pleased..:)
The next day installing it I dropped the darn thing. Oh well it was fun to do

cobergas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a BC29 laying around so I decided to turn it into a frag tank. Now I have 2 BC29 setup used as a prop tank to grow some zoas. These pictures a little older but you get the idea.. IMO Keeping a frag tank separate from display is always best to do only because of redundancy. If I get something in that can be split I split it and divide it between tanks to hopefully ensure that if one does not make it the other will. Skimmer and heater are of course a must have and I will also add a reactor of some sorts to switch out media when needed. I do run these bare bones though and have cheap power heads running on them.

P1013090.jpg
P1013516.jpg

P1013090.jpg

P1013516.jpg

classklown90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a BC29 laying around so I decided to turn it into a frag tank. Now I have 2 BC29 setup used as a prop tank to grow some zoas. These pictures a little older but you get the idea.. IMO Keeping a frag tank separate from display is always best to do only because of redundancy. If I get something in that can be split I split it and divide it between tanks to hopefully ensure that if one does not make it the other will. Skimmer and heater are of course a must have and I will also add a reactor of some sorts to switch out media when needed. I do run these bare bones though and have cheap power heads running on them.

P1013090.jpg P1013516.jpg
What lights do you run?

I did the same with a bc 14. I have a mp10, media basket, doser, steves led lights and a custom rack I made. Works out pretty well.

uploadfromtaptalk1407187044277.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1407187110988.jpg

Kworker

Tang Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ reshaping a 55. I cut one in half height wise a few years back to make a Xenia filter. Were I wanted it I had 14" clearance do I needed it 10" tall. I got a diamond tip 7.5" circular saw blade for $15 from a overseas company, a $5 circular saw st a garage sale and s .99¢ bottle of cooking oil. 30 minutes later I was in the shower wishing I used a garbage bag as an apron but had a really cool tank. I was do pleased..:)
The next day installing it I dropped the darn thing. Oh well it was fun to do

So you just kept it completely together and essentially made it 48"x12"x10" ? Thats interesting. Why not just use a glass cutter from a hardware store?

Isoprene

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I've flip flopped on making my own or waiting for that lucky Craig's list ad to pop up. Either way I'll be sure to document the whole process success or fail and share the proof, thanks for the examples guys the tanks look great

Isoprene

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lucky man. I would love me some acrylic. Anyone had success in keeping lps and sps in the same frag tank ? Share how if you did , mine will be seperate from my display

James Hammett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I set up a 10 gallon tank to hold frags I will put up a picture in this thread . I have a 32 gallon bio cube can those be plumed together? Or is it best to not mess with bio cube and leave it stand alone

ReefyTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is mine which is only 2 months old. The water is a little cloudy i had just messed around with the HOB refugium box that I use for some sand and skimmer.

I did have sand in the tank but very little. In about 2 more weeks ill be adding some frags.

20180707_120415.jpg
20180707_120656.jpg

Teacher Pam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to do a frag tank because that is what I really like to watch. I was thinking off having glass cut and trying to make it myself. Not much of a DIY person but I do try. I am an educator and I think my students would love to watch something like this. However I am starting with nothing and as an educator everything must come out of pocket. Any suggestions on starting a frag tank from scratch? I know this is an old. So if anyone sees it feel free to To reach out! Thanks! Pam

Could give email address if it is easier!

ReefyTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to do a frag tank because that is what I really like to watch. I was thinking off having glass cut and trying to make it myself. Not much of a DIY person but I do try. I am an educator and I think my students would love to watch something like this. However I am starting with nothing and as an educator everything must come out of pocket. Any suggestions on starting a frag tank from scratch? I know this is an old. So if anyone sees it feel free to To reach out! Thanks! Pam

Could give email address if it is easier!
Hi,
I wont pretend to be an expert at setting up a frag tank as mine is fairly new and Im still learning myself but I did notice craigslist and forums offered many good deals on setups or even tanks if you have the time to wait.
I went with a 20gal long setup which i got from petco $25, a used HOB refugium $65, a nano skimmer that i placed in the hob $50, led lights $175, nano koralia, small wavemaker $40, eggcrate $12. The tank decision was mainly due to the location where it would go, the rest of my items i looked for used or new if it was a good deal. Alot of this depends on your own needs and what you want to maintain.

Teacher Pam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I wont pretend to be an expert at setting up a frag tank as mine is fairly new and Im still learning myself but I did notice craigslist and forums offered many good deals on setups or even tanks if you have the time to wait.
I went with a 20gal long setup which i got from petco $25, a used HOB refugium $65, a nano skimmer that i placed in the hob $50, led lights $175, nano koralia, small wavemaker $40, eggcrate $12. The tank decision was mainly due to the location where it would go, the rest of my items i looked for used or new if it was a good deal. Alot of this depends on your own needs and what you want to maintain.
Thank you!!!!

Joe Caruso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IM has that 6gal frag tank now that comes with there snap grid. Think retail is $59. Might be good for a classroom.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back