OP
Aaron Gustafson

Aaron Gustafson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New addition: Yasha goby

Sadly, her red-banded pistol partner died in transit because someone at Diver’s Den decided to pack it with some coral rubble. It was blended. The McCosker’s Flasher Wrasse I ordered was also DOA, I think from ammonia buildup in the bag. Truly bummed.

OP
OP
Aaron Gustafson

Aaron Gustafson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Aaron i have a 170 and is interested to see how you have done your refugium as my skimmer is in the same compartment as the algeas and it keeps getting blocked up and the skimmer is to big to put in the return section any help would be appreciated. thanks Barry

Have you considered adding a baffle? Cut a sheet of plexi and drill some holes in it. Put your skimmer on one side, algae on the other. Ideally skimmer first, then algae.

OP
OP
Aaron Gustafson

Aaron Gustafson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the current livestock list…

Fish
  • Yellow coris wrasse
  • Tailspot blenny
  • Rainfords goby
  • Yasha hase goby
  • Royal gramma basslet
Inverts
  • Fire Shrimp
  • Tiger fighting conch
  • Halloween Hermit
  • Electric Blue Hermit
  • Assorted worms, pods, hermits, snails & such from Indo-Pacific Sea Farms
Zoas/palys:
  • WWC Halle Berry Zoas
  • WWC Now & Later Gator Zoas
  • Pink Zippers
  • JP Sonic Flare (I think)
  • Rasta Zoas
  • Oxide Zoas
  • Ultra Chaos Palys
  • Devil’s Armor Palys
  • Sunny Delight Zoas
  • Tubbs Blues Zoas
  • Eagle Eye Zoas
  • Ding Dang People Eater Palys
  • Red People Eater Palys
LPS:
  • WWC Ultron Micromussa
  • 5 assorted ultra Micromussa lordhowensis
  • WWC Burning Leptastrea
  • JF John Deere Leptastrea
  • Purple Leptastrea
  • Dragon Soul Favia
SPS:
  • Oregon Tort
  • Tierra del Fuego (or similar)
  • Bali Green Slimer
  • JF Jack-O-Lantern Leptoseris

Maokin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any pictures with the protein skimmer installed? Are you finding the refugium is working well? I found most Triton documents I found recommended putting the protein skimmer after the refugium. Options are of course limited with the stock sump. Great job on the cable management and organization of the cabinet. Might have to steal some ideas from your setup.

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome setup, looking great.

Ignore it if you know this already, but I found out after the fact that the yasha goby needs to be fed several times a day. I had one that seemed to be doing well, but I went away for a week and only had my tank being fed every other day, and only a little bit each feeding. When I got home the yasha was no where to be found. After doing a bit more research I saw that requirement of needing to be fed multiple times daily.

OP
OP
Aaron Gustafson

Aaron Gustafson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any pictures with the protein skimmer installed? Are you finding the refugium is working well? I found most Triton documents I found recommended putting the protein skimmer after the refugium. Options are of course limited with the stock sump.

I can take a picture next time I have the sump lid off. As for the refugium before the skimmer, I kinda get it (you want the refugium to get the bulk of the nutrients before the skimmer removes them), but I feel like that is more of an issue if you are using an overpowered skimmer. Putting it before the refugium also helps reduce the number of pods, etc. that get sucked into the skimmer cup.

Great job on the cable management and organization of the cabinet. Might have to steal some ideas from your setup.

Thanks! Steal away!

OP
OP
Aaron Gustafson

Aaron Gustafson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome setup, looking great.

Thanks!

Ignore it if you know this already, but I found out after the fact that the yasha goby needs to be fed several times a day. I had one that seemed to be doing well, but I went away for a week and only had my tank being fed every other day, and only a little bit each feeding. When I got home the yasha was no where to be found. After doing a bit more research I saw that requirement of needing to be fed multiple times daily.

I had not seen that before (and I tend to pay a good deal of attention to feeding needs), thanks for the heads-up! I have quite a few pods and other such live food in the tank, so my hope is that once a day will be enough for mine, but I’ll keep an eye on her belly. When I go away for any length of time, I make sure everything is either fed while I’m away (either by a person or a feeder block) or (if it’s a short 1-2 day trip) I’ll fatten everyone up a bit more over the course of the week before I leave.

Maokin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can take a picture next time I have the sump lid off. As for the refugium before the skimmer, I kinda get it (you want the refugium to get the bulk of the nutrients before the skimmer removes them), but I feel like that is more of an issue if you are using an overpowered skimmer. Putting it before the refugium also helps reduce the number of pods, etc. that get sucked into the skimmer cup.

Thanks! Steal away!

I am seriously thinking about trying to go skimmerless on my reefer 170. I likely will try putting in some channels in the sump or some other way to divide the sump if i decided i need a skimmer down the road. Also going to get a really good fuge light H160 or H380. Leaning towards H160 as intensity is adjustable and 170 Sump is not very big. Interested to hear how your results are with the Tunze 8821 6500K LED as the spectrum is very different than specific fuge branded lights.

What are you dosing? I am looking at Triton's core7.

OP
OP
Aaron Gustafson

Aaron Gustafson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interested to hear how your results are with the Tunze 8821 6500K LED as the spectrum is very different than specific fuge branded lights.

So far so good. The chaeto has pretty much out-competed all of the other algae. Of course right after I set this up they announced a new version tuned for the refugium, but oh well.

What are you dosing? I am looking at Triton's core7.

I am dosing Triton Core7 as well. Just started less than a month ago when I added my first SPS.

OP
OP
Aaron Gustafson

Aaron Gustafson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a more recent shot of the cabinet. The chaeto has totally taken over, outcompeting all of the other macros.

2019-01-23 11.41.54.jpg

Maokin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a more recent shot of the cabinet. The chaeto has totally taken over, outcompeting all of the other macros.

2019-01-23 11.41.54.jpg
Nice Pic. Would you say the sump lid to is very effective? I want to get one but with hanging fuge light I don't want the lid to reflect all the light. The light will probably overkill for this size sump H160 but worried it won't be effective through the lid. The new tunze fuge light you mentioned appears to only be announced at this point can't find it for sale anywhere.

OP
OP
Aaron Gustafson

Aaron Gustafson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice Pic. Would you say the sump lid to is very effective? I want to get one but with hanging fuge light I don't want the lid to reflect all the light.

It has done wonders for humidity in the cabinet, but yeah, I would only do it with the submersible Tunze lights. The one I'm using is doing a great job growing chaeto though.

shopan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Aaron, can you help with plumbing for the Nepture cor return pump? What are you using for the return pump? Recently got a cor15 for the reefer 170 but unable to find the barb fitting for the 5/8 green hose. Do you have the part list to connect to the cor15? I found other people recommendation but do not understand what the item is or look likes. I did brought the pump to home depot but no one able to find what is needed. Thanks

OP
OP
Aaron Gustafson

Aaron Gustafson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Aaron, can you help with plumbing for the Nepture cor return pump? What are you using for the return pump? Recently got a cor15 for the reefer 170 but unable to find the barb fitting for the 5/8 green hose. Do you have the part list to connect to the cor15? I found other people recommendation but do not understand what the item is or look likes. I did brought the pump to home depot but no one able to find what is needed. Thanks

I posted this on the Neptune Systems forum, but I'll post it here too. Here is how I ended up plumbing my COR 15 into my Red Sea Reefer 170:

COR ¾" slip + ¾" slip × ¾" FPT + ¾" NPT × ⅝" barbed

Links:

¾" slip × ¾" FPT @ Home Depot: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt...4703/100116710

¾" NPT × ⅝" barbed @ BRS: https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/3-4-n...g-indelco.html

shopan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, this is perfect. Is there any gluing required? Thanks again

Back