Tomini Tang HLLE

vareefer1979

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have a small tomini tang which I have had for about a month, tang has developed HLLE, water parameters are normal, no stray voltage, feed variety of food which nori always in tank, pellets, frozen, algae wafers and flakes, no carbon currently being used, but I did use carbon when I first added tang, carbon was placed in sump low flow double bagged in sock, the bulk cheap top fin carbon. No aggression in tank, tang is definitely the king. I have researched a lot concerning HLLE and currently adding selcon to nori/food. There is algae growing on live rock and tang is active/grazing most time, does not seem as interested in pellets/frozen food but picks at algae, is 2-3x bigger since purchased. Standard 75 gallon tank. Any suggestions on HLLE issues.

Thanks

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone successfully healed tang with HLLE ??

i heard selcon does mircles... but i have never fully seen a fish recover, unless it was very light HLLE.

selcon.JPG

If its the very start, i have had a pygmy angel completely do a 180 that i rescued from a LFS.
But it took well over 6 months.

OP
OP
V

vareefer1979

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i heard selcon does mircles... but i have never fully seen a fish recover, unless it was very light HLLE.

selcon.JPG

If its the very start, i have had a pygmy angel completely do a 180 that i rescued from a LFS.
But it took well over 6 months.
My tomini is in early stage currently only on face, doesn’t seem too deep hopefully I caught it before too aggressive.

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
grab some selcon... and this:

freeze dried mysis.JPG

put a pinch in a shot glass, with a few drops of selcon.
Let it soak for a couple of min.

And then feed....

The selcon will cloud your water a tad bit...

But i noticed all my fish loves that freeze dried mysis... even my anthias which are picky eatters.

Id feed it several times a week and see if it improves, along with making sure your water chemistry is good and clean.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lower priced lower quality carbons are a bad choice. These tend to break up easier and the fines that get in to the water column are what is thought to "cause" hlle there is no hard proof of this though just thought to be a contributing factor.

If you need to use carbon make sure its a high quality hard pelletized form and rinse it well. Make sure there is very low flow to reduce the possibility of small particles from being created and getting into the water column. Or just dont use it at all.

There is also the possibility it is brought on by poor water quality which allows pathogens to get out of control, bacteria and viruses. Keep ammonia, nitrite and nitrate as low as possible.

I have reversed hlle to minor scaring on a couple tangs and quite a few south and central american cichlids. Water quality, high quality food and vitamins, its not immediate depending on the severity it can take a year or more. Live gut loaded feeds is best but a diet of high quality frozen, freeze dried, pellets will work also soak these in a vitamin supplement. I noticed in the cichlids the fastest recovery with crickets gut loaded with fresh vegetables and worms also fed a high quality food source of vegetable scraps and grains. For Tangs nori and fresh macroalgaes high quality frozen mysis with added vitamins and black worms. If they will eat it the freeze dried mysis and krill soaked in vitamins like selcon, vitamarin, or vita chem works well also.

OP
OP
V

vareefer1979

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lower priced lower quality carbons are a bad choice. These tend to break up easier and the fines that get in to the water column are what is thought to "cause" hlle there is no hard proof of this though just thought to be a contributing factor.

If you need to use carbon make sure its a high quality hard pelletized form and rinse it well. Make sure there is very low flow to reduce the possibility of small particles from being created and getting into the water column. Or just dont use it at all.

There is also the possibility it is brought on by poor water quality which allows pathogens to get out of control, bacteria and viruses. Keep ammonia, nitrite and nitrate as low as possible.

I have reversed hlle to minor scaring on a couple tangs and quite a few south and central american cichlids. Water quality, high quality food and vitamins, its not immediate depending on the severity it can take a year or more. Live gut loaded feeds is best but a diet of high quality frozen, freeze dried, pellets will work also soak these in a vitamin supplement. I noticed in the cichlids the fastest recovery with crickets gut loaded with fresh vegetables and worms also fed a high quality food source of vegetable scraps and grains. For Tangs nori and fresh macroalgaes high quality frozen mysis with added vitamins and black worms. If they will eat it the freeze dried mysis and krill soaked in vitamins like selcon, vitamarin, or vita chem works well also.
Thanks for info, they lower quality carbon is really all I could link the HLLE to, only used it 3x, double bagged and low flow, it’s hard to pinpoint exactly the cause, but it seems quality food will be way to recovery.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back