Aaron's Cove Build - 25g IM Lagoon Tank

Aaron Shapiro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All,

Been a little dormant since January. Long story short, I am a recent returner to saltwater aquariums. As a kid, I kept several tanks in my bedroom, but after an unfortunate back-siphon incident that led to the recarpeting of several rooms in the house... My folks asked me to get rid of the tanks.

Fast forward 15+ years, I got the bug again. But, as is my style, I made a few false starts. Bought a Biocube 32g and couldn't stand the distortion of the front panel, then I purchased a preowned setup from a local reefer, but it wasn't set up in a way that I liked -- so I sold that to another local reefer.

After that, I wasn't sure that I'd be back. But just as Corleone said... "Just when I thought I was out...." you know the rest.

Introducing my new Innovative Marine 25g Lagoon system. With this build, I knew I wanted to do some sort of "cove-like" aquascape. This will be a mixed reef, with a serious focus on Zoas and Acans... MAYBE some Acros near the top once I get going, we'll see.

I had everything shipped to my folks while I was out of town. They texted me this:

IMG_1713.PNG

I asked them to open the tank to make sure everything was intact... It was.

Once I was home I brought it inside and got it set up on this old metal drafting table that I use for some photography. I should still have plenty of space to take pictures, but this is a great spot for the tank:

60515646094__48F5BBD6-AF9D-447F-90D8-3838178BBA59.JPG

You can see where I had taped out the profile of several different tank sizes. I'd contemplated the IM 25 lagoon (which I picked) the 20g Peninsula, and the Waterbox 20g Cube. Ultimately I preferred the broader/shallower profile of the lagoon.

60528964805__15327347-B5B6-4ED5-B0E0-7877DF46BD64.JPG

Next up was aquascaping. What I've done in the past was tape out the interior dimensions of the tank, then do a dry run to make sure I can get what I want (or close to it). This is all dry rock from Reef Cleaners -- can't recommend this stuff enough. As you can see I was going for some sorta "cove" structure with little cave and what not. Picture some real dope Scoly in the middle of that cove someday..... Then you'll get my vision.

IMG_1745.JPG

Here's how it went together in the tank. I can never get them together the same way twice, but this is pretty close. I intentionally didn't want to glue or epoxy them so I can pull pieces out when I need to frag corals off of them. This will all come apart pretty easily and go back together without too much fuss.

You know what comes next...

IMG_1747.JPG

I guess I should talk a little about the gear here... So here's my list:

• Tank: Innovative Marine Nuvo Fusion Lagoon 25 Gallon
  • Lighting: AI Hydra 32 with HMS Rigid Mount
  • Return Pump: Sicce Silent 1.5 (upgraded from the IM Mightyjet)
  • Heater: Cobalt NeoTherm 100W
  • Flow: AI Nero5
  • ATO: Auto Aqua Smart ATO Micro
  • Substrate: Carib Sea Special Grade Live Sand
  • Salt: Tropic Marin Pro Reef
  • Misc: JBJ Digital Thermometer, PolypLabs Coral View Lens V2.0, Fritz Glass and Acrylic Cleaner, and lastly BRS Flex-Fit ball cap (arguably the most important piece of the build).\

I was originally going to go with an AI Prime on a gooseneck, but figured with the nearly 24" footprint it'd be worth jumping up to the 32. That being said this light has been a gigantic pain in my ****. Firstly in the HMS mount instructions, AI doesn't tell you that the 32's cord is thicker than the 26's was. So when you're trying to cram the cord into the groove on the mount it just won't go. I even tried using a hardcover copy of Clive Cussler's The Sea Hunters to mash that cord in, but no go... Only to discover after some googling that they included cord clips for the 32's cord. That's fine, but I wish the directions had said so.

Secondly, I'm using both the AI light and AI powerhead... However for whatever reason right now I can't get both connected to one "tank" in the AI app. So I have a "tank" setup for my light, and a "tank" set up for the powerhead. I've emailed AI to see what they say about that. Apart from these little hiccups, I'm a fan of their products.

I also went ahead and upgraded the stock mighty jet DC pump with a Sicce Silent 1.5...which has so far proven to be less than silent. I'll need to see if I can address that soon. I just figured most folks upgrade their stock pumps eventually, let's just do it now.

For filtration, my tank came with a 200-micron sock and the IM media caddy. Looking at other build threads it seems like EVERYONE uses the inTank accessories with their Innovative Marine tanks. For the time being, however; I wanted to try using the sock and caddy... So far the caddy only has the included floss in the top and nothing anywhere else. Once all the sludge from the rocks and sand clear I'll get it loaded up. Likely with just floss on the top, maybe a Chemipure product, and some bio media.

I also picked up some SeaChem Matrix and little mesh baggies for it, not sure where I'll put that yet.

I think that's it... I opted for the Nero because I enjoy the AI ecosystem, the Auto Aqua ATO based on a friend's recommendation, and the Cobalt Heater because they're highly reviewed and slimmmm.

Enough jabbering, here's the tank with rock, sand, and water in it all cleared up. I'm very pleased with how it all came out. Tomorrow will bring bacteria and ammonia so we can get everything rolling...

IMG_1751.JPG

Looking forward to hearing what folks think, and I'll try and keep this thread up to date best as I can.

-Aaron

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All,

Been a little dormant since January. Long story short, I am a recent returner to saltwater aquariums. As a kid, I kept several tanks in my bedroom, but after an unfortunate back-siphon incident that led to the recarpeting of several rooms in the house... My folks asked me to get rid of the tanks.

Fast forward 15+ years, I got the bug again. But, as is my style, I made a few false starts. Bought a Biocube 32g and couldn't stand the distortion of the front panel, then I purchased a preowned setup from a local reefer, but it wasn't set up in a way that I liked -- so I sold that to another local reefer.

After that, I wasn't sure that I'd be back. But just as Corleone said... "Just when I thought I was out...." you know the rest.

Introducing my new Innovative Marine 25g Lagoon system. With this build, I knew I wanted to do some sort of "cove-like" aquascape. This will be a mixed reef, with a serious focus on Zoas and Acans... MAYBE some Acros near the top once I get going, we'll see.

I had everything shipped to my folks while I was out of town. They texted me this:

IMG_1713.PNG

I asked them to open the tank to make sure everything was intact... It was.

Once I was home I brought it inside and got it set up on this old metal drafting table that I use for some photography. I should still have plenty of space to take pictures, but this is a great spot for the tank:

60515646094__48F5BBD6-AF9D-447F-90D8-3838178BBA59.JPG

You can see where I had taped out the profile of several different tank sizes. I'd contemplated the IM 25 lagoon (which I picked) the 20g Peninsula, and the Waterbox 20g Cube. Ultimately I preferred the broader/shallower profile of the lagoon.

60528964805__15327347-B5B6-4ED5-B0E0-7877DF46BD64.JPG

Next up was aquascaping. What I've done in the past was tape out the interior dimensions of the tank, then do a dry run to make sure I can get what I want (or close to it). This is all dry rock from Reef Cleaners -- can't recommend this stuff enough. As you can see I was going for some sorta "cove" structure with little cave and what not. Picture some real dope Scoly in the middle of that cove someday..... Then you'll get my vision.

IMG_1745.JPG

Here's how it went together in the tank. I can never get them together the same way twice, but this is pretty close. I intentionally didn't want to glue or epoxy them so I can pull pieces out when I need to frag corals off of them. This will all come apart pretty easily and go back together without too much fuss.

You know what comes next...

IMG_1747.JPG

I guess I should talk a little about the gear here... So here's my list:

• Tank: Innovative Marine Nuvo Fusion Lagoon 25 Gallon
  • Lighting: AI Hydra 32 with HMS Rigid Mount
  • Return Pump: Sicce Silent 1.5 (upgraded from the IM Mightyjet)
  • Heater: Cobalt NeoTherm 100W
  • Flow: AI Nero5
  • ATO: Auto Aqua Smart ATO Micro
  • Substrate: Carib Sea Special Grade Live Sand
  • Salt: Tropic Marin Pro Reef
  • Misc: JBJ Digital Thermometer, PolypLabs Coral View Lens V2.0, Fritz Glass and Acrylic Cleaner, and lastly BRS Flex-Fit ball cap (arguably the most important piece of the build).\

I was originally going to go with an AI Prime on a gooseneck, but figured with the nearly 24" footprint it'd be worth jumping up to the 32. That being said this light has been a gigantic pain in my ****. Firstly in the HMS mount instructions, AI doesn't tell you that the 32's cord is thicker than the 26's was. So when you're trying to cram the cord into the groove on the mount it just won't go. I even tried using a hardcover copy of Clive Cussler's The Sea Hunters to mash that cord in, but no go... Only to discover after some googling that they included cord clips for the 32's cord. That's fine, but I wish the directions had said so.

Secondly, I'm using both the AI light and AI powerhead... However for whatever reason right now I can't get both connected to one "tank" in the AI app. So I have a "tank" setup for my light, and a "tank" set up for the powerhead. I've emailed AI to see what they say about that. Apart from these little hiccups, I'm a fan of their products.

I also went ahead and upgraded the stock mighty jet DC pump with a Sicce Silent 1.5...which has so far proven to be less than silent. I'll need to see if I can address that soon. I just figured most folks upgrade their stock pumps eventually, let's just do it now.

For filtration, my tank came with a 200-micron sock and the IM media caddy. Looking at other build threads it seems like EVERYONE uses the inTank accessories with their Innovative Marine tanks. For the time being, however; I wanted to try using the sock and caddy... So far the caddy only has the included floss in the top and nothing anywhere else. Once all the sludge from the rocks and sand clear I'll get it loaded up. Likely with just floss on the top, maybe a Chemipure product, and some bio media.

I also picked up some SeaChem Matrix and little mesh baggies for it, not sure where I'll put that yet.

I think that's it... I opted for the Nero because I enjoy the AI ecosystem, the Auto Aqua ATO based on a friend's recommendation, and the Cobalt Heater because they're highly reviewed and slimmmm.

Enough jabbering, here's the tank with rock, sand, and water in it all cleared up. I'm very pleased with how it all came out. Tomorrow will bring bacteria and ammonia so we can get everything rolling...

IMG_1751.JPG

Looking forward to hearing what folks think, and I'll try and keep this thread up to date best as I can.

-Aaron
Everything looks great so far, welcome to the Lagoon club. If I was you I’d put the Seachem matrix in the return chamber. There is space underneath the two chambers on each side and for me at least it’s a big detritus trap in my Lagoon 50. I ended up putting my matrix and some Marine pure gems under there and now it’s better. Good luck with your build, I’ll following along.

JoshO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks awesome, love the scape. A lot use intank media basket on the Evo which I'm building but I've built my own slightly different basket using acrylic and egg crate, might be worth having s try yourself!

OP
OP
Aaron Shapiro

Aaron Shapiro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything looks great so far, welcome to the Lagoon club. If I was you I’d put the Seachem matrix in the return chamber. There is space underneath the two chambers on each side and for me at least it’s a big detritus trap in my Lagoon 50. I ended up putting my matrix and some Marine pure gems under there and now it’s better. Good luck with your build, I’ll following along.

Thanks! Just checked out your build thread, nice stuff!

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Just checked out your build thread, nice stuff!
Thanks man. Just make careful notes about what I did and then do the opposite and you’ll be fine :)
Seriously though, if you do only one thing with the lagoon, make sure you’re not letting all that gunk build up in the back. It was shocking to me how much collected back there. I’m still struggling with it. Not everyone has this problem but just watch it and you’ll be good. I’m looking forward to seeing your lagoon grow.

OP
OP
Aaron Shapiro

Aaron Shapiro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks man. Just make careful notes about what I did and then do the opposite and you’ll be fine :)
Seriously though, if you do only one thing with the lagoon, make sure you’re not letting all that gunk build up in the back. It was shocking to me how much collected back there. I’m still struggling with it. Not everyone has this problem but just watch it and you’ll be good. I’m looking forward to seeing your lagoon grow.

Yeah I saw that! That's crazy... What're you using for mechanical filtration??

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I saw that! That's crazy... What're you using for mechanical filtration??
Now? What aren’t I using. I’ve got an intank media basket on the left side with, in the top section, in order, a 50 micron felt pad, a phosphate pad (just cuz I had some) a course pad, two pieces of fleece from a roller mat roll that I cut to fit and some floss on top. There’s Ulva in the middle and a couple of Marinepure blocks on the bottom. On the right side there’s an IM mid size uv with two more pieces of the roller mat fleece laying over the top of the super porous black pad that comes with the uv. Then there’s a big chemipure elite bag at the bottom of that chamber. I honestly need to redo the whole thing to correct some mistakes I made during initial setup and to add a better skimmer. The IM ghost skimmer worked for a while but the way it’s put together makes it very difficult to clean and it’s become less effective. I’ve heard the 2nd gen one is better but I think I’m more inclined to go with a Tunze 9004dc or the cadlights pls50 elite II. I’ve heard good things about both.

OP
OP
Aaron Shapiro

Aaron Shapiro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright.... and we're off!

_DSF8108.jpg

Add just over 15ml of the Nitrocycle and both bottles of TurboStart. The only reason I used two was because one was expired so I decided to double up. Then the SeaChem matrix went into the back compartments. I'll test ammonia tonight to see if we're cookin'

OP
OP
Aaron Shapiro

Aaron Shapiro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright well, we are well into our cycle. The above picture was from Sunday here are some testing updates:

Monday:
IMG_1769.JPG

Wednesday:
IMG_1773.JPG

Friday:

IMG_1791.JPG

'trites
IMG_1792.JPG

'trates
IMG_1793.JPG

We're getting there... I don't think I'm going to dose additional ammonia, just figure that once we've processed the ammonia present we should be pretty good to go, any thoughts?

OP
OP
Aaron Shapiro

Aaron Shapiro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well...

What a couple of weeks we've had. My cycle is complete, I'm showing a consistent 0 ammonia and nitrite with 8-10ppm of Nitrate. So...naturally, prior to quarantining myself I was able to pick up a couple of bargain bin $10 zoa frags and a Firefish. I could bare seeing an empty tank for however long this will go on for, here are a few pics:

IMG_1952.JPG

IMG_1953.JPG

For $10 frags I'm really pleased with the colors that are coming out of these Zoas. Took a bit for the larger one to open up but now it's open wide and happy.

Took a while for the Firefish (affectionately named Corona) to become accustomed to the tank and stick his head out. Now he spends a good chunk of the day in the water column mocking me as I attempt to work from home.

I also ordered livestock online for the first time from Cultivated Reef. But I'll save that for another post. They should arrive tomorrow morning.

Equipment-wise: I swapped the sock out for an inTank media basket. So currently I'm running the inTank on the left side with Seachem matrix in the middle compartment and floss on top. On the right side I'm using the IM basket (which is basically identical) with Floss top, and carbon in the middle. At some point, I want to swap the carbon out for Chemipure Blue (or Elite).

The next plan I have is to order an inTank fuge basket, IM light, and some chaeto once I get a few more fish in there. I think that'll be the next project.

Hope everyone is well!

OP
OP
Aaron Shapiro

Aaron Shapiro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ALRIGHT,

So I've added some corals. Half of these are from Cultivated Reef and the other half are from a local reefer bud of mine that facilitated a curbside pickup while maintaining social distance. Thanks @Jimmeh lee

Let me see if I can put together a list, the Duncan frag and Acan should be obvious...

IMG_1987.JPG

• A - Vamps
  • B - Blue Eyed Blondies (single polyp)
  • C - Utter Chaos
  • D - Magicians
  • E - LA Lakers
  • F - Rainbow Infusions
  • G - Oxides
  • H - Orange Speckles
  • I - Blue Muppets
  • J - ??? This could be a second plug of the Muppets, or something called "Teala Monsters"
  • K - Sunny D's
Love any help if I've mislabeled these. I want to try and keep them straight so I can ID them later.

--Made some edits after discussing with a couple of friends, I think I'm closer on the names now--

Thanks!

Last edited:

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well...

What a couple of weeks we've had. My cycle is complete, I'm showing a consistent 0 ammonia and nitrite with 8-10ppm of Nitrate. So...naturally, prior to quarantining myself I was able to pick up a couple of bargain bin $10 zoa frags and a Firefish. I could bare seeing an empty tank for however long this will go on for, here are a few pics:

IMG_1952.JPG

IMG_1953.JPG

For $10 frags I'm really pleased with the colors that are coming out of these Zoas. Took a bit for the larger one to open up but now it's open wide and happy.

Took a while for the Firefish (affectionately named Corona) to become accustomed to the tank and stick his head out. Now he spends a good chunk of the day in the water column mocking me as I attempt to work from home.

I also ordered livestock online for the first time from Cultivated Reef. But I'll save that for another post. They should arrive tomorrow morning.

Equipment-wise: I swapped the sock out for an inTank media basket. So currently I'm running the inTank on the left side with Seachem matrix in the middle compartment and floss on top. On the right side I'm using the IM basket (which is basically identical) with Floss top, and carbon in the middle. At some point, I want to swap the carbon out for Chemipure Blue (or Elite).

The next plan I have is to order an inTank fuge basket, IM light, and some chaeto once I get a few more fish in there. I think that'll be the next project.

Hope everyone is well!
I wish the $10 Zoa frags at my lfs looked that good. Nice score.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back