About time for flukes to expire

hrdneglcry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About how much time for flukes to expire?
Ok. So recently I read a post in here where a member had a fluke problem. Cured the flukes in quarantine and put his fish back in the main tank which had been fallow for 2.5 months. And the fish got reinfected. Is usually 40 days enough? I can cure my grouper of the flukes in quarantine. I put him back in too soon because my triggers have no symptoms. but he got it again. this time i will have to wait 40 days. hopefully that will do it

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Ok. So recently I read a post in here where a member had a fluke problem. Cured the flukes in quarantine and put his fish back in the main tank which had been fallow for 2.5 months. And the fish got reinfected. Is usually 40 days enough?
Flukes are actually Monogean flatworms and can live as long as 6 months, hate to say. They go thru many stages and cycles and drop eggs at will

OP
OP
H

hrdneglcry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read something that fluke when in an environment with a lot or organic sludge can hide and survive medications that normally would kill them. 6 months! arghh. Might have to set up a fresh tank just for the grouper to grow up in.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I read something that fluke when in an environment with a lot or organic sludge can hide and survive medications that normally would kill them. 6 months! arghh. Might have to set up a fresh tank just for the grouper to grow up in.
Are you sure its flukes?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Also behavior for velvet but hanging at surface suggest flukes

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About how much time for flukes to expire?
Ok. So recently I read a post in here where a member had a fluke problem. Cured the flukes in quarantine and put his fish back in the main tank which had been fallow for 2.5 months. And the fish got reinfected. Is usually 40 days enough? I can cure my grouper of the flukes in quarantine. I put him back in too soon because my triggers have no symptoms. but he got it again. this time i will have to wait 40 days. hopefully that will do it
I think it is more likely the trigger is reinfecting the grouper. Not all fish are affected by flukes to the same degree, and the trigger likely has a sub clinical infection.
With no fish in the tank, Neobenedenia flukes die out in 35 days.
Jay

OP
OP
H

hrdneglcry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not treat the entire DT for flukes?
This should work.
I think it is more likely the trigger is reinfecting the grouper. Not all fish are affected by flukes to the same degree, and the trigger likely has a sub clinical infection.
With no fish in the tank, Neobenedenia flukes die out in 35 days.
Jay
We did speak about this. You did say its possible for flukes to prey in fish with different scale patterns and not others. The Triggers have no symptoms. No lingering by top of tank. No scratching. And this has been going on for months. Not to say you are wrong. But they have no symptoms. I can cure the grouper. A hydroplex dip and a quarantine works pretty fast. I can try waiting the 35 days this time.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This should work.

We did speak about this. You did say its possible for flukes to prey in fish with different scale patterns and not others. The Triggers have no symptoms. No lingering by top of tank. No scratching. And this has been going on for months. Not to say you are wrong. But they have no symptoms. I can cure the grouper. A hydroplex dip and a quarantine works pretty fast. I can try waiting the 35 days this time.
Subacute fluke infestations are common. Those fish can act as “Typhoid Marys” to more susceptible fish. The ctenoid scales on the trigger are a lot tougher than the soft cycloid scales on the grouper.

Jay

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This should work.

Having done necropsies on triggerfish that died from fluke infestations being so severe, I'd say just leave the grouper where he is and prazi the entire tank. Moving him out and treating him is not going to solve the problem. The triggerfish have flukes as well, they're just subclinical as @Jay Hemdal stated earlier.

Either pull every single fish in the display and treat, leaving the display fallow for 35 days, or treat the display itself. Being that this is a tank with a larger predator fish, I'd treat the display so you aren't sticking a bunch of big fish into a small quarantine.

OP
OP
H

hrdneglcry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its possible the triggers are repelling them. I dice garlic and add to the food I make and freeze for the fish. There are some studies that say allicin can remain somewhat beneficial even through freezing although not through heat. This is mainly what my fish eat. A frozen mixture of shrimp, salmon, tuna, scallops, and peas along with the garlic diced from garlic cloves.

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

hrdneglcry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It possible the triggers are repelling them. I dice garlic and add to the food I make and freeze for the fish. There are some studies that say allicin can remain somewhat beneficial even through freezing although not through heat. This is mainly what my fish eat. A frozen mixture of shrimp, salmon, tuna, scallops, and peas along with the garlic diced from garlic cloves.
Why not treat the entire DT for flukes?
I did Prazi the tank continously per the guidlines. The trigger had one in her face that went away. The Grouper never got better uaing it.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 66 44.9%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 33.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 21 14.3%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 9 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back