How to remove flukes from tangs

AlessioSG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

I finally completed the prazigold protocol and I noted that the skin of both my powder blue tang (PBT) and my hippo tang have tiny pimples. I infer that those are dead flukes sill under the skin. In addition, my PBT has some of those dead flukes visible on the skin in the form of white "seeds" or tiny white worms (two beside his gill and one on the fin). Both fishes are perfectly fine eating and swimming normally.

However, do i need to manually remove those flukes or, it will be a natural process? And, in case, how do I remove them from the skin and under the skin?

Thanks again to everyone!

A.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi guys,

I finally completed the prazigold protocol and I noted that the skin of both my powder blue tang (PBT) and my hippo tang have tiny pimples. I infer that those are dead flukes sill under the skin. In addition, my PBT has some of those dead flukes visible on the skin in the form of white "seeds" or tiny white worms (two beside his gill and one on the fin). Both fishes are perfectly fine eating and swimming normally.

However, do i need to manually remove those flukes or, it will be a natural process? And, in case, how do I remove them from the skin and under the skin?

A.
Flukes are rarely seen and questions if you are seeing something else. Please post pics under white light intensity for best assessment

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

A.
Flukes live on the surface of the skin, they attach with mouth suckers. Turbellarian worms do burrow deeper in the skin.
Pictures will help!

OP
OP
A

AlessioSG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flukes live on the surface of the skin, they attach with mouth suckers. Turbellarian worms do burrow deeper in the skin.
Pictures will help!
Please see attached. I am referring to the white spot on the PBT. From the photo it looks like one, but those are apparently two "flukes" (provided that they are flukes). There is one more on the right fin. I hope this can help.

Attachments

• IMG_20240323_083337.jpg
    IMG_20240323_083337.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_20240323_083147.jpg
    IMG_20240323_083147.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_20240323_083128.jpg
    IMG_20240323_083128.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_20240323_083606.jpg
    IMG_20240323_083606.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 45

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please see attached. I am referring to the white spot on the PBT. From the photo it looks like one, but those are apparently two "flukes" (provided that they are flukes). There is one more on the right fin. I hope this can help.
Tough to see clearly, but the lesion I see is linear, so more likely an injury. It isn’t flukes or turbellarians for sure though.

OP
OP
A

AlessioSG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tough to see clearly, but the lesion I see is linear, so more likely an injury. It isn’t flukes or turbellarians for sure though.
Hi Jay,

I hope this photo helps you more. From the previous one, it seems that one of those white seeds dropped. Now there are one on the left side and one on the left fin.

My biggest concern is that those flukes/worms, are actually dead. Also because the prazigold protocol already costed me my SPSs, at least i want to save my tangs.

Attachments

• IMG_20240323_144609.jpg
    IMG_20240323_144609.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 44

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jay,

I hope this photo helps you more. From the previous one, it seems that one of those white seeds dropped. Now there are one on the left side and one on the left fin.

My biggest concern is that those flukes/worms, are actually dead. Also because the prazigold protocol already costed me my SPSs, at least i want to save my tangs.
I’ve never used prazi gold, but my understanding is that it is a copy of Prazipro. Properly used, Prazipro won’t kill corals, so I’m not sure what happened n your case.
Those large white spots are not ich or worms. They could be mucus plugs or some skin injury.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back