Flukes on Yellow Tang?

Yamaha1634

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Firstly, is this a skin fluke on my tang? Still eating well. Swimming has become a little erratic.

He’s in a stocked mixed reef tank and I feed he would be near impossible to catch! So how do I treat in the tank?

IMG_5043.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Firstly, is this a skin fluke on my tang? Still eating well. Swimming has become a little erratic.

He’s in a stocked mixed reef tank and I feed he would be near impossible to catch! So how do I treat in the tank?

IMG_5043.jpeg
Looks like an injury
Appearance is not in alignment with flukes which you rarely see with the naked eye. This should heal on its own but keep an eye out for soreness or other changes in behavior
With flukes, fish will scratch itself on surfaces, heavy breathing, loss of color and appetite, listlessness and gasping
Maintain good water quality and diet as fish looks slightly thin

OP
OP
Y

Yamaha1634

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like an injury
Appearance is not in alignment with flukes which you rarely see with the naked eye. This should heal on its own but keep an eye out for soreness or other changes in behavior
With flukes, fish will scratch itself on surfaces, heavy breathing, loss of color and appetite, listlessness and gasping
Maintain good water quality and diet as fish looks slightly thin
Thanks for the reply. I’ll keep an eye on it and see what happens. Not that anywhere is open today for me to get a treatment anyway

I’ve only had him around 6 weeks. He spent 2 weeks in an observation only QT and I saw no issues so he went in the DT 4 weeks ago. He was a little shy and hid most of the time I was feeding but I made sure I saw him get something every time. I feed frozen (mysis and brine shrimp) one day a week and then a mixture of all Ocean Nutrition flake foods twice a day the other 6 days. Then I feed one A4 paper sized sheet of nori folded up every third day although it’s usually gone after 1 day. He’s getting better with his feeding. I make sure he eats every feed and I see him attaching the nori sheets regularly.

No other symptoms in any other fish in the tank. All healthy and happy.

Water quality is also good, I do a ICP once a month and there’s no major concerns there.

Nemo&Friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the Nori is gone in one day, I would give him Nori everyday. I do not have a yellow tang, but my hyppo and rabbit fish eat 1/2 of the large sushi Nori from the Asian store daily.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 164 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back