Black spots on clown fish and hippo tang

AlessioSG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys,

Few days ago, I noted black spots on both sides of my new hippo tang. 2 days ago he started to scratch himself against the rocks. Given that I am currently running a PraziGold treatment in the DT, I waited the following day (yesterday morning) to administer PraziGold. Today, not only the tang still has the black spots, but also my clown fish has black spots. I read on other threads that black spots are very often associated with flatworms which are supposed to be treated by PraziGold. Is this info correct? How long does it take PraziGold to remove/fix flatworms? Is there anything else I should do?

As usual, thanks in advance. Cheers,

A.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi Guys,

Few days ago, I noted black spots on both sides of my new hippo tang. 2 days ago he started to scratch himself against the rocks. Given that I am currently running a PraziGold treatment in the DT, I waited the following day (yesterday morning) to administer PraziGold. Today, not only the tang still has the black spots, but also my clown fish has black spots. I read on other threads that black spots are very often associated with flatworms which are supposed to be treated by PraziGold. Is this info correct? How long does it take PraziGold to remove/fix flatworms? Is there anything else I should do?

A.
It may or may not be worms. If you have euphyllia, anemone(s) or urchin, may be hyper-melanization. Please post a pic or two under white light intensity

OP
OP
A

AlessioSG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may or may not be worms. If you have euphyllia, anemone(s) or urchin, may be hyper-melanization. Please post a pic or two under white light intensity
I actually have all three (i.e. 2 torches, 2 bubble tip anemones, 2 tuxedo sea urchins). The hippo tang has the black spots on the lower belly (very hard to take a photo) and the clown fish has the spots towards the caudal fin.

Attachments

• 1710463022034.jpg
    1710463022034.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 36
  • 1710463022022.jpg
    1710463022022.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 40

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I actually have all three (i.e. 2 torches, 2 bubble tip anemones, 2 tuxedo sea urchins). The hippo tang has the black spots on the lower belly (very hard to take a photo) and the clown fish has the spots towards the caudal fin.
yes- no need to treat with prazi. This is hyper-melanization which again may have come from coral sting such as anemone or other coral such as hammer, torch or similar. Mine got stung by elegance coral. You dont need to treat with anything as it will self heal and allowing the clown to become accustomed to the sting from host

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys,

A.
Can you post pictures?

Literally every forum will tell you to use praziquantel to treat turbellarians (the worm that causes black spot disease). Trouble is, that’s all wrong. Prazi only knocks out trematodes and cestodes long enough to cause them to drop off the fish (and they can’t reattach). Turbellarians are more deeply seated and not as affected by prazi. The standard treatment is dylox(too toxic to humans) or formalin(still pretty toxic). Freshwater dips will work, but you need to go as long as 7 minutes and done fish don’t like that. Luckily, in many cases, turbellarians go away on their own (making it seem like other treatments are working).

Jay

OP
OP
A

AlessioSG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post pictures?

Literally every forum will tell you to use praziquantel to treat turbellarians (the worm that causes black spot disease). Trouble is, that’s all wrong. Prazi only knocks out trematodes and cestodes long enough to cause them to drop off the fish (and they can’t reattach). Turbellarians are more deeply seated and not as affected by prazi. The standard treatment is dylox(too toxic to humans) or formalin(still pretty toxic). Freshwater dips will work, but you need to go as long as 7 minutes and done fish don’t like that. Luckily, in many cases, turbellarians go away on their own (making it seem like other treatments are working).

Jay
Hi Jay,

these are the best photos I managed to take. Both fishes are eating and very active. Just tang is scratching himself on rocks from time to time. It has been suggested above that it could be hyper-melanization due to sting from corals or anemones.

What do you suggest? Thanks. A.

Attachments

• 1710463022034.jpg
    1710463022034.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 29
  • 1710463022022.jpg
    1710463022022.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 28

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jay,

these are the best photos I managed to take. Both fishes are eating and very active. Just tang is scratching himself on rocks from time to time. It has been suggested above that it could be hyper-melanization due to sting from corals or anemones.

What do you suggest? Thanks. A.
Sorry - those pics are too blue and just not clear enough for me to say if it is turbellarians or hypermelanization.

Tangs get turbellarians and clowns more commonly get hypermelanization, so I can’t use the species involved to help with the diagnosis.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back