PraziGold/PraziPro Protocol

AlessioSG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

After losing my hippo tang due to gill flukes last week, I went on with a PraziGold attack in the display tank. First day, after administering the medicine, several white spots/lines appeared on my fishes (especially the new hippo tang (just brought in from the store) and the blue powder tang) spots which were not there the following day. I have been told and I read on this forum that they may have been flukes leaving the skin/body of the fishes. However, here is the question: today is day 3 since I administered PraziGold (I did it last Sunday), can I put back the collection cup of the protein skimmer and turn on the UV sterilizer at least for a couple of days before re-administering again PraziGold? Or, for the entire length of the treatment, the collection cup and the UV sterilizer need to be passive (activated carbon removed already and not of concern)? I am afraid the nitrates go over the roof, also I see some green patches coming back.

In addition, I met (in the city where I live) a quite knowledgeable guy in the reef hobby and, based on his experience using PraziGold, he suggested to administer PraziGold every 4 days for 4 times (protocol which has always been highly effective, according to him). 3 times to kill the flukes in the tank and the 4th time apparently is very useful to kill the flukes hatched from the eggs (which I understood to have 12-day hatching period). Do you see any issue with this protocol as opposed to the 8 day protocol?

Once again, many thanks in advance. Cheers, A.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

After losing my hippo tang due to gill flukes last week, I went on with a PraziGold attack in the display tank. First day, after administering the medicine, several white spots/lines appeared on my fishes (especially the new hippo tang (just brought in from the store) and the blue powder tang) spots which were not there the following day. I have been told and I read on this forum that they may have been flukes leaving the skin/body of the fishes. However, here is the question: today is day 3 since I administered PraziGold (I did it last Sunday), can I put back the collection cup of the protein skimmer and turn on the UV sterilizer at least for a couple of days before re-administering again PraziGold? Or, for the entire length of the treatment, the collection cup and the UV sterilizer need to be passive (activated carbon removed already and not of concern)? I am afraid the nitrates go over the roof, also I see some green patches coming back.

In addition, I met (in the city where I live) a quite knowledgeable guy in the reef hobby and, based on his experience using PraziGold, he suggested to administer PraziGold every 4 days for 4 times (protocol which has always been highly effective, according to him). 3 times to kill the flukes in the tank and the 4th time apparently is very useful to kill the flukes hatched from the eggs (which I understood to have 12-day hatching period). Do you see any issue with this protocol as opposed to the 8 day protocol?

Once again, many thanks in advance. Cheers, A.
Praziquantel is only effective for a short time after being added - averages about 24 hours. You can collect skimmate and run the UV between treatments if you want, just wait 24 hours after each treatment.
As for the dose timing, yes, that is to kill any flukes that hatch from eggs. The time that takes is based on the water temperature and the species of fluke involved. It is all just a guess. I prefer 8 day spacing 2x or up to 4x for Neobenedenia. With four day spacing, not all the eggs have hatched.

OP
OP
A

AlessioSG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Praziquantel is only effective for a short time after being added - averages about 24 hours. You can collect skimmate and run the UV between treatments if you want, just wait 24 hours after each treatment.
As for the dose timing, yes, that is to kill any flukes that hatch from eggs. The time that takes is based on the water temperature and the species of fluke involved. It is all just a guess. I prefer 8 day spacing 2x or up to 4x for Neobenedenia. With four day spacing, not all the eggs have hatched.
Jay, thanks a lot. Ok, collection cup is back in place and UV light is back on.

Cheers, A.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 101 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.8%
Back