About Time.. Tank Build

butrflynlambie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's about time... I start my tank build. I have been thinking about starting a tank again for awhile and with my basement weeks away from being complete I have started.

My current equipment list.

RODI unit
2 food grade 55gal drums (previously contained apple vinegar) - to be used for water mixing
Ecotech L1 pump
Aquatronica ACQ 140
Maxspect R420R LED light fixture
65 Gallon Deep Blue Tank
Tank Stand

Looking for a few more items in the forums or craigslist... I would like to switch the light for a better light. Searching for sump, skimmer and heater. Might need to buy some things new, but otherwise trying to be frugal.

Most likely I will start cycling without rock and will add this later as funds free up.

I am very appreciative of the reef2reef forum for filling the void that I have had in this hobby in the last few years.

pics to come soon.

saltnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
great plan! can't wait to see it all come together.

OP
OP
B

butrflynlambie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my tank, a 65 gallon. The sump I hope to pickup is a 36x18x16... most likely not going to fit under the tank. Now I need to buy some plumbing.

SmallTank.jpg

OP
OP
B

butrflynlambie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Craigslist sump find. I now have a sump...looks silly in size to the tank, but building for the future.

Trying to figure out plumbing connection to the sump for the drain. I would rather not glue the drain to the sump. I don't see how you would replace the sump pipe if I switched the tank or setup without cutting it... Any ideas?

(it is an icecap 36. I only recall icecap making a ballast so not really familiar with the brand quality). Anyway price was within budget for the size i wanted.

ASumpInowhave.jpg

saltnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you could just use some couplings and don't glue it at the final connection allowing you to unplug for future use. you can also use something like this halfway through the tubing to allow for a break down further up in the system.

OP
OP
B

butrflynlambie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Saltnewb... I did some research on plumbing. The pipes in the sump are not glued, which is what I originally thought. It is a threaded part that I can easily replace. Plumbing ran me a little more than I expected. I purchased from a plumbing store rather than through one of the specialized online reef stores. The ball valves are pretty pricey when you start adding 5-6 of them. I went with cheaper options for ball valves on the plumbing site.

Also purchased a panworld pump for saltwater mixing.. I did buy that through an excellent online store.

OP
OP
B

butrflynlambie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received my plumbing parts this week. I hope to work on my mixing station today and at least put the bulkheads in.

I also prepped to paint the back of the tank black, but the weather has turned cold and I can't paint it in the garage now.

I am second guessing the tank purchase and see a 90gal tank on craigslist that would come with additional equipment I need (skimmer, reactors, pumps, heaters, rock..). Only problem is that the seller wants the buyer to break it down...

On lighting... I have been searching for the Kessil ap700 but I am not finding these used or even remotely at a price point I want. Lots of ecotech radions I see used.. I am just not a fan of seeing the color splatter or disco ball look that I don't see with the kessil. Waffling on whether to use the Maxspect and buy the Kessil later on. Wife says to sell the Maxspect now otherwise I need to say how long it was used for (been in the box for over a year).... For now I think i will buy a lottery ticket and procrastinate on this decision.

I would like to have this cycled before Reefapalooza in NY in June...

OP
OP
B

butrflynlambie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bulkheads installed for water containers. I am hoping to have some more plumbing done tomorrow. Hoping to at least give the RODI a try tomorrow.

Found a potential skimmer... but the seller is in Delaware. We will see..

OP
OP
B

butrflynlambie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saltwater changing station all plumbed together. Sink faucet swapped out and RODI ran for a few minutes for the first time. I will need to get an outlet near the pump with a timer.

I have a new appreciation for those that work in construction. Especially plumbers.

The one thing that is concerning to me is that I do not know the level or amount of water in either barrel as they are not opaque or see through. Mixing salt to come up with the proper salinity might be a problem.

OP
OP
B

butrflynlambie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
started my dry fitting... Making progress....

I would have starved as a plumber. Kudos to the people that do this for a living.

035.jpg

037.jpg

OP
OP
B

butrflynlambie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for the wiring did you do anything to have the cords (power/probes) run along the edge? I was thinking of getting some plastic hooks with double sided tape to keep them all together.

OP
OP
B

butrflynlambie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gorgeous... I will post a picture after I have everything glued, but your setup is much prettier. Right now I am just crossing my fingers that there are no leaks...

OP
OP
B

butrflynlambie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is running four weeks. Put in a royal gramma this Saturday.

I need to work on the wiring and do something to rig the light... but it is up!

Back