About to go fallow, what do I need?

DrMMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 300g tank and due to many mistakes along the way (mostly not quarantining anything) my tank is going through a velvet outbreak. I'm going to transfer all my fish into a 300g Rubbermaid bin and start copper. I keep biowheels and filter cartridges in my sump to stay seeded so I shouldn't have much of a cycle. Other than that, airstones, and a heater, is there anything I need for life support for my fish. Below is my fish list. Anything in particular I need to worry about with using copper on any of these guys?

Sailfin tang
Yellow tang
Unicorn tang
Blonde naso tang
Purple tang
Hippo tang
Flame angel
Coral beauty
Pair of clowns
Pair of pajama Cardinals
4 Green chromis
3 engineer gobies
Diamond goby
Royal Gramma
Carpenter wrasse
Melanrus wrasse
Yellow coris wrasse
Foxface

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use a "chelated copper" like Copper Power (preferred) or Coppersafe.
Usually run a bubble filter with the foam pad seeded. For yours, I'd consider running two.

Freshwater dip and then a bath in Ruby Reef Rally (this step greatly increases survival rates) and then into the QT that's pre-dosed to 1.0 ppm of one of the above coppers.
While in the copper, dosing kanaplex + Furan2 will limit the losses due to bacterial infections from the numerous parasites insertion points.

OP
OP
D

DrMMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about what you’re going through, OP. Do you know what brought in the velvet? Anything added in the last 30 days?
Honestly it could have been anything because I didn't properly quarantine anything. I was of the mindset, just observe to make sure they're healthy, then dump in. I had a UV so I thought that would help with the parasite management. I know it's been in my system because a few months ago, I had to take my powder blue tang out because he was bullying my purple. Two weeks in a 20g long without a UV stresses him out enough that he showed velvet and died within hours. Needless to say, like many on here, I've learned my lesson the hard way and now everything including coral and inverts are getting quarantined.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unwavering patience, first and foremost.

OP
OP
D

DrMMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm day 12 of being at a therapeutic level of copper for my fish. Once I complete the 14 days, is it OK to just do a big water change and add some carbon to pull the copper out and leave the fish in the same tank? I still have a ways to go before they can go back into my display.

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you arent going to transfer them to a clean tank i would leave them in copper for the full 30 days you wanna be sure the velvet is gone
So I'm day 12 of being at a therapeutic level of copper for my fish. Once I complete the 14 days, is it OK to just do a big water change and add some carbon to pull the copper out and leave the fish in the same tank? I still have a ways to go before they can go back into my display.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 45 45.5%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 32 32.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 16.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.0%
Back