I think i have Velvet

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking about taking all inverts and nems, father dusters and my eel out and treating the whole system with copper I'm just worried about my beneficial bacteria dying is this an issue.
Copper won’t harm your beneficial bacteria more than by a small percentage. You can monitor your ammonia to play it safe.

OP
OP
R

reefer arno

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other wise, my other option is to take out all my fish leaving in all the inverts, nems, clean up crew etc, to stave the ich for 6 weeks, but will the inverts etc act as a life sorce for the ich?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other wise, my other option is to take out all my fish leaving in all the inverts, nems, clean up crew etc, to stave the ich for 6 weeks, but will the inverts etc act as a life sorce for the ich?
Minimum of 45 days at 81f but 60 is safer.

OP
OP
R

reefer arno

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Minimum of 45 days at 81f but 60 is safer.
Ok would it be ok to leave the clean up crew and starfish, nems, feather dusters, snail etc in during this period or not? As I'm not sure if they would act as a life sorce for the ich.

Also if I could leave the clean up crew could I still feed during this time.

Hope this makes sense thanks

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok would it be ok to leave the clean up crew and starfish, nems, feather dusters, snail etc in during this period or not? As I'm not sure if they would act as a life sorce for the ich.

Also if I could leave the clean up crew could I still feed during this time.

Hope this makes sense thanks

Yes - you can keep ALL invertebrates in the tank, they do not host ich parasites. Yes, you do need to "ghost feed" the tank a little so that your clean up crew gets enough to eat in the absence of the fish.

OP
OP
R

reefer arno

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks, I have a smaller tank with out any fish that is fully cycled they can go in so I can treat them easier.

OP
OP
R

reefer arno

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer coppersafe or copper power measured with the Hanna meter and held at 2.25 ppm for 30 days.
Ok great, I have just ordered the copper power and I should get it tomorrow, I have also got a API copper test kit to tie me over until i can get a Hanna tester, I have also got one of those cheap in water visual tester for ammonia to make sure their is no sudden rises as well as testing with red sea test kits.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok great, I have just ordered the copper power and I should get it tomorrow, I have also got a API copper test kit to tie me over until i can get a Hanna tester, I have also got one of those cheap in water visual tester for ammonia to make sure their is no sudden rises as well as testing with red sea test kits.

If you know the net water volume of your tank (minus displacement by tank decorations, etc.) you can dose copper power according to the label instructions, and get pretty close to the proper level.

Jay

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 60 74.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back