OP
OP
tcampbell23

tcampbell23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question I used some ammonia reducer in the QT tank about a week ago (likely longer but conservatively a week). Since then I've done at least 2 water changes of 15 gallons each. I also treated the first dose of API general cure on Friday June 2nd and the second dose yesterday June 4th. I plan to do another 15gal water change tomorrow and run some carbon to get rid of the API Med. This morning I noticed the hippo Tang showing signs of what appears to be ich. What should I do in preparation to treat with Kordon CopperAid?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question I used some ammonia reducer in the QT tank about a week ago (likely longer but conservatively a week). Since then I've done at least 2 water changes of 15 gallons each. I also treated the first dose of API general cure on Friday June 2nd and the second dose yesterday June 4th. I plan to do another 15gal water change tomorrow and run some carbon to get rid of the API Med. This morning I noticed the hippo Tang showing signs of what appears to be ich. What should I do in preparation to treat with Kordon CopperAid?

You should be fine. everything you listed, not including the ammonia reducer, are safe to use with copper. The ammonia reducer isn't going to be a problem since it is most likely completely gone from the water at this point.

OP
OP
tcampbell23

tcampbell23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great! What defines "slowly ramping up" copper? The medication says that 5ml (1tsp) per 4 gallons. I was thinking do 1/2 tsp (2.5ml) twice per day for 5 days or until I reach therapeutic range (1.5-2.0ppm)

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3-5 days is fine for a slow ramp up. It mostly depends on the situation and the fish involved. Sensitive fish will want you to take longer, velvet will require you to speed things up quite a bit.

OP
OP
tcampbell23

tcampbell23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll keep an eye out. The hippo Tang is eating well and not showing any strange behavior other than the occasional flashing or scratching. I do notice spots or a powdery look on her "forehead" and a couple larger spots on the tail. No other fish (7 green chromis & a chocolate Tang) show signs or symptoms

OP
OP
tcampbell23

tcampbell23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I'm not mistaken the only difference as far as treatment is velvet is a much faster killer and thus demands a more urgent approach?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I'm not mistaken the only difference as far as treatment is velvet is a much faster killer and thus demands a more urgent approach?

That's not wrong, but there are other things that can be done to help you have a better chance of beating velvet. An acriflavin dip before going into the QT is a good start. A freshwater dip can help clear out the gills and allow better breathing. Having antibiotics on hand is always a good idea, since infections are very common with velvet.

OP
OP
tcampbell23

tcampbell23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's not wrong, but there are other things that can be done to help you have a better chance of beating velvet. An acriflavin dip before going into the QT is a good start. A freshwater dip can help clear out the gills and allow better breathing. Having antibiotics on hand is always a good idea, since infections are very common with velvet.

I'm going to head to my LFS and grab some ruby reef rally. I believe that has Acriflavine in it. She is already in QT with other fish. How should I address that? I will pick up some Kanaplex as well.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to head to my LFS and grab some ruby reef rally. I believe that has Acriflavine in it. She is already in QT with other fish. How should I address that? I will pick up some Kanaplex as well.

It's fine. You can do the rally dip on all of them. 90 minutes, heavily aerated. Once back in QT, start dosing the copper. If we are assuming velvet (to be safe) then you'll want to get to therapeutic levels within 24 hours spread out as much as possible in that 24 hours.

OP
OP
tcampbell23

tcampbell23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's fine. You can do the rally dip on all of them. 90 minutes, heavily aerated. Once back in QT, start dosing the copper. If we are assuming velvet (to be safe) then you'll want to get to therapeutic levels within 24 hours spread out as much as possible in that 24 hours.

I'm at the store now. They don't have any ruby reef rally. Can I use ich-x or rid-ich? Both say they treat velvet.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm at the store now. They don't have any ruby reef rally. Can I use ich-x or rid-ich? Both say they treat velvet.

You could use Quick Cure, which has formalin in it and would work. It's just a little harsh on the fish so we try for acriflavin first.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 26 14.7%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 40 22.6%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 103 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back