Fallow period questions

jthunderzzz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently setting up a QT tank due to an ich outbreak in my tank. My plan is to treat the remaining fish and have a longer fallow period before adding them back. Does it defeat the purpose if I have coral and CUC still in my display tank while this fallow period. I understand that I probably cant totally irradiate the disease but didnt know if keeping the inverts in the tank would make the fallow time not make a difference.

EgotisticObeseChihuahua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Inverts will not affect the reproduction of "ich" Nor will corals. Ich will not reproduce inside your tank unless you have fish in the system. Just wait a long period of time (70 days)

OP
OP
jthunderzzz

jthunderzzz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Inverts will not affect the reproduction of "ich" Nor will corals. Ich will not reproduce inside your tank unless you have fish in the system. Just wait a long period of time (70 days)
I was hoping for that, thank you! Im not looking forward to the 70 days but it is what it is.

TattooedReef27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya keep them out the longest time possible treat them and keep them healthy not sure what fish u have if u have tangs make sure they have room to swim I found a couple of Used 55 gallons for my tangs and bigger fish when I had to do this dreadful mess

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently setting up a QT tank due to an ich outbreak in my tank. My plan is to treat the remaining fish and have a longer fallow period before adding them back. Does it defeat the purpose if I have coral and CUC still in my display tank while this fallow period. I understand that I probably cant totally irradiate the disease but didnt know if keeping the inverts in the tank would make the fallow time not make a difference.
The ich parasite requires fish to survive, so no problem with inverts or coral.

6 - 8 weeks is adequate for the fallow period at the temperature we maintain for reef tanks.

OP
OP
jthunderzzz

jthunderzzz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya keep them out the longest time possible treat them and keep them healthy not sure what fish u have if u have tangs make sure they have room to swim I found a couple of Used 55 gallons for my tangs and bigger fish when I had to do this dreadful mess
A tang is what introduced this to the tank so I dont have any larger fish. The only one Im worried about is my yellow choris wrasse. Might be all stressed out without sand.

OP
OP
jthunderzzz

jthunderzzz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ich parasite requires fish to survive, so no problem with inverts or coral.

6 - 8 weeks is adequate for the fallow period at the temperature we maintain for reef tanks.
Do I need to worry about my coral/benefical bacteria in the tank? Thinking that I might feed the corals a little more than usual to keep nutrients up.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do I need to worry about my coral/benefical bacteria in the tank? Thinking that I might feed the corals a little more than usual to keep nutrients up.
You can feed them. I would not feed them more than normal - except based on testing.

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A tang is what introduced this to the tank so I dont have any larger fish. The only one Im worried about is my yellow choris wrasse. Might be all stressed out without sand.
BTW, place a bowl with a couple of inches of play sand (non calcium based) in the QT and the wrasse will be happy.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Give them an occasional sinking algae wafer as you don’t want to foul the water in the process

1707253840810.png

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was hoping for that, thank you! Im not looking forward to the 70 days but it is what it is.

Here is a thread I started on 45 day fallow periods:

Jay

OP
OP
jthunderzzz

jthunderzzz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a thread I started on 45 day fallow periods:

Jay
Thanks!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back