About that 45 day fallow period thing?

TortillaMan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone tried doing 45 days @ 81f? I have 34 days left on my fallow period and I stay around 78.4 (before tank lights go on)-79.2F (after everything has woken up. Yeah I probably need a temp controller lol) and I was wondering how long I can shorten my fallow period by if I raise up to 80 and stay there? I’ve noticed better growth in my Kenya tree and better coralline synthesis with the temp how it is. Before it was 77-78

Could someone explain how the 45 day at 81F thing came about? When I started my fallow it was 76 days of no fish but only inverts.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Longer = less risk (obviously).
No answer to your question other than to refer you here, just in case you haven't found this already:

45 Day Fallow

*topic by the person on this site that I think most (including me) believe is likely to have the most well-educated thoughts on the matter

OP
OP
TortillaMan

TortillaMan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Longer = less risk (obviously).
No answer to your question other than to refer you here, just in case you haven't found this already:

45 Day Fallow

*topic by the person on this site that I think most (including me) believe is likely to have the most well-educated thoughts on the matter
I did read a few pages of the article and it’s a very interesting topic. Definitely would change the game in QT’ing fish for a newbie. Personally the 76 days is a bit much. Especially when you have family over. We hosted Easter this year and everyone asked about where all the fish went . Anyways I read that the 76 days was established after one of the people running tests saw that ich was still present at 68F for a long time. In a regular tank I would think that they would hatch faster in tropical conditions

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyways I read that the 76 days was established after one of the people running tests saw that ich was still present at 68F for a long time. In a regular tank I would think that they would hatch faster in tropical conditions
Yeah, that's part of why Jay Hemdal's typical recommendation is currently 60 days for most tanks.
I was wondering how long I can shorten my fallow period by if I raise up to 80 and stay there?
I don't think this has been tested enough to say for sure honestly, but if you think raising the temp to 80F would be good for your tank/corals, then there's no harm in bumping it to 80F at this point - I'd still go the full 60 days to be safe though.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 64 74.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back