QT tank size for fallow period

GK805Ojai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Somehow ich has found it's way into my reef tank. I should be able to catch the fish for QT with copper but I only have a 29 gallon tank to work with. Currently I have two wrasse (yellow coris and blue star leopard) approx 3.5 inches, Starry Blenny approx. 3 inches, small royal gramma, neon goby, and a yellow nose high fin shrimp goby. Is the 29 gallon going to be too small for all the fish during the fallow period? My current tank is a 40 gallon 36x15x17 and holds about 30 gallons of water. I do plan to add sand to the QT for the wrasses and some pvc for the other fish. I also have a 10 gallon tank available. Would it be better to put just the wrasses and maybe the blenny in the 29 and the 2 gobies and royal gramma in the 10? Any advice on how to handle this would be greatly appreciated.

TheFunnyFarm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps pickup another 10gal if possible to be covered in case you run into a spat of aggression. I believe Petco is still running their 50% off sale.

Also a Hanna checker for monitoring copper levels is crucial.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

GK805Ojai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were me, I’d split them into two tanks - you’d avoid potential aggression and overstocking better that way.
As for sand, make sure it’s non-calcerous sand to avoid it soaking up copper.
Thank you, that's what I figured. As to the sand, both wrasses will be super stressed without it. I know it will absorb the copper so I would dispose of the sand after the fallow period.

Upvote 0

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep a close eye on copper levels - if they dip too low then you would have to restart.
If possible, try to use a silica based sand (often the type used in fw tanks).

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 89 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back