About to tear my hair out…

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As above Im super frustrated! Tried plumbing my sump to my 300 today. It did not go well. Needless to say Ive never plumbed a sump and no idea what Im doing. Matched the pvc pipe sizes from samples of before it was taken down. Problem is bulk heads… where do I even get those? Best to get from BRS? Looking at the home-depot section of plumbing was overwhelming and so many things labeled “bluk heads” but all were different! Just need some help where to get them. Pipes are 3/4, 1, and 1 1/4 inches. This thing also has a UV so if anyone has any tips for installing that I would be grateful. Very frustrated!

Kona Diver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As above Im super frustrated! Tried plumbing my sump to my 300 today. It did not go well. Needless to say Ive never plumbed a sump and no idea what Im doing. Matched the pvc pipe sizes from samples of before it was taken down. Problem is bulk heads… where do I even get those? Best to get from BRS? Looking at the home-depot section of plumbing was overwhelming and so many things labeled “bluk heads” but all were different! Just need some help where to get them. Pipes are 3/4, 1, and 1 1/4 inches. This thing also has a UV so if anyone has any tips for installing that I would be grateful. Very frustrated!
You can also get great plumbing supplies and free shipping from Pentair(formerly aquatic ecosystems)

Make sure to install your UV as the final stage before water returns to tank. Not sure about your main recirculating pumps performance but you may not want to run the full force through the UV so you get the proper sanitary effect. You may have a tee on your main return, have a series of valves on both sides to divert some of the return though Uv and then back into sump, and the bulk back into tank. All of this depends on flow rates etc. Maybe if you have a list of components you’re using and we can help.

Last edited:

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes, BRS is a great source for bulkheads and other aquarium plumbing. Many pieces can likely be purchased elsewhere for cheaper if you know what you are looking for, but for ease of use BRS is great.

When buying bulkheads pay attention to "slip" or "threaded" options. Slip will be pieces that you glue and slide together, where as threaded will be Teflon taped (I think) and screwed together. For aquariums it seems like most people go for slip, myself included. . .

You will want to buy bulkheads and other fittings (angled pieces) of the appropriate size for the pipe you are using. 1" pipe will need a 1" 90 degree elbow for example.

You will use PVC primer and glue to join the slip PVC to the fittings. Note that if you are using ABS (a type of plastic) bulkhead, you will not use a primer to join it to the PVC, just a multipurpose PVC glue. If you are using PVC bulkheads (schedule 80) you can ignore that last part and use both primer and glue.

Also, to figure out if a certain bulkhead will fit in the holes in your tank there is a measurement guide on BRS's website.

Some of this you may already know but hope it helps regardless!

Last edited:

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you get a list together you can order from flexpvc.com
I plumbed my 300 with dual overflows and bean animal in each overflow. Make sure you buy unions for the pipe so you can take it apart. I would suggest true union ball valves in stead of regular ball valves and use gate valves where you need them (for main drain line(s) for adjustment. Regular unions are cheap so it's nice to have those as well. A silicone grease is great for the threads as well....makes screwing tight easy and will protect threads from saltwater down the road

Bj’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact aquarium speciality, they will have what you need. They will give you one on one advice on your project.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Talk to your LFS, if they are worth their salt, they can help with bulkheads. You need to match the drilled sized holes to which size bulkhead you need. Your not gonna find a aquarium bulkhead at a big box hardware store.

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also get great plumbing supplies and free shipping from Pentair(formerly aquatic ecosystems)

Make sure to install your UV as the final stage before water returns to tank. Not sure about your main recirculating pumps performance but you may not want to run the full force through the UV so you get the proper sanitary effect. You may have a tee on your main return, have a series of valves on both sides to divert some of the return though Uv and then back into sump, and the bulk back into tank. All of this depends on flow rates etc. Maybe if you have a list of components you’re using and we can help.

The list of components is what Im struggling with. I have some parts for sizing the pipes he gave me a samples, but I just dont really know what Im looking at (or what all I need!)

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you get a list together you can order from flexpvc.com
I plumbed my 300 with dual overflows and bean animal in each overflow. Make sure you buy unions for the pipe so you can take it apart. I would suggest true union ball valves in stead of regular ball valves and use gate valves where you need them (for main drain line(s) for adjustment. Regular unions are cheap so it's nice to have those as well. A silicone grease is great for the threads as well....makes screwing tight easy and will protect threads from saltwater down the road
What are the ball valves?

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, BRS is a great source for bulkheads and other aquarium plumbing. Many pieces can likely be purchased elsewhere for cheaper if you know what you are looking for, but for ease of use BRS is great.

When buying bulkheads pay attention to "slip" or "threaded" options. Slip will be pieces that you glue and slide together, where as threaded will be Teflon taped (I think) and screwed together. For aquariums it seems like most people go for slip, myself included. . .

You will want to buy bulkheads and other fittings (angled pieces) of the appropriate size for the pipe you are using. 1" pipe will need a 1" 90 degree elbow for example.

You will use PVC primer and glue to join the slip PVC to the fittings. Note that if you are using ABS (a type of plastic) bulkhead, you will not use a primer to join it to the PVC, just a multipurpose PVC glue. If you are using PVC bulkheads (schedule 80) you can ignore that last part and use both primer and glue.

Also, to figure out if a certain bulkhead will fit in the holes in your tank there is a measurement guide on BRS's website.

That helps a lot, I just dont know what really any of the stuff is. I got the pvc piping, elbows and fittings with glue. Its the other aquarium stuff that I dont really know what I need

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That helps a lot, I just dont know what really any of the stuff is. I got the pvc piping, elbows and fittings with glue. Its the other aquarium stuff that I dont really know what I need

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I am always impressed at how amazing and handy the people in these forums are. I am not. At all. I plumbed my 210 with flexible tubing and that has worked well for me. I have a UV but it’s not plumbed in line and it is working beautifully for me.

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I can do my best to help:

Bulk heads are either ABS (type of plastic) or schedule 80 (technically also plastic but are PVC so the same thing the pipes are made of). ABS are fine for most applications, but schedule 80 can handle higher pressure. With a 300 gallon tank schedule 80 might be the way to go (I will let the big tank experts chime in).

Also the gasket that comes with the bulkhead goes on the inside or "wetside" of the tank.

Elbows are just that, they add and elbow or joint to the plumbing allowing it to get where it needs to go under the stand.

Ball valves are a fairly simple means of altering the flow. They have a nob that allows you to adjust from fully open to fully closed and sort of in-between. These valves work but can get tough to turn and are not super precise (though there are various degrees of quality within this style of valve). A gate valve is more complex, and more expensive, but allows for better flow control and doesn't tend to get stuck.

How necessary valves are will depend on your set up, but most types of overflows/drains in big tanks are going to uses valves to dial in flow and make the tank as quiet as possible (that is a pretty simplified take though).

Oh and unions (see @billyocean's post below) allow you to take the plumbing apart later if need be without cutting it to pieces.

All that said, to offer specific guidance people will probably need to know what type of drain you will be using. The size of the holes already drilled in the tank. The type of pump you will be using. The type of UV you will be using. . .

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are all slip/slip which @MoshJosh explained earlier

Screenshot_20240519_223536_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20240519_223517_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
BRS no doubt
You'll pay for them but you'll also buy it once based on quality

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay thank you all for the help. Does anyone have a diagram by chance? Like showing where the gate valves should be?

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I have so far. Figured I need bulkheads to connect to the top tubing in the overflow but dont know what to make/plumb there for the intake and return lines. I have no idea why there are so many drilled holes, part of what is throwing me off.

IMG_5558.jpeg

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pictures of the sump

Attachments