Old style 150 GA Plumbing Question

rpkneumann

Texas Reefer since 2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started a rebuild of an 2005 Oceanic 150 ga tank.
I thought I had a plan until i continued thinking and reading to much about plumbing.
The tank comes with two overflows build in ( 2 holes drilled on bottom of each) . looks like from the old plumbing parts that it used to be plumbed with 1 Durso and 1 Return in each Overflow. Each of the overflows has capacity of 660 GPH.
The tank came with a trigger system crystal sump 36 . It has 2 drain bulk heads. And still looks like brand new after cleaning
I decide for now to stay with my current config unless somebody has a better idea:
- each overflow will have 1 Durso (supplied by Aquenon who bought Oceanic)
- each overflow will have its own return on separate pumps.

There is not enough room in the overflow to drill a third hole unless i go through the back (but then i will most likely have a space problem to fit 3 pipes, bulkhead and an elbow in the overflow.

What worries me:
- No safety overflow
- Possible noise level?

1E8215CF-DCE1-4E9F-8676-D61934F54BE0_1_105_c.jpeg

Questions:
1 Is this going to be noisy?
2 Should I add one standing drain pipe in the tank, drill extra hole on the bottom, to make like a bean animal configuration?
3 add two more holes to have a safety drain?
4 Any other configuration ideas?

I'm currently cleaning DT and sump since they were kept in a chicken coop and not cleaned after being drained. Its coming along good. The 2005 built tank was resealed not to long ago. It has great, nearly new looking silicon. (And heavy as hell ;-))
You can see the tank on my build thread.

Otto

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going with beanimal on my dual overflow. Going to use two siphons, one secondary drain, and one emergency. The return will come over the back of the tank.

Bj’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the exact same tank. It has been up and running for nine years now. The overflow on the right is a little higher than the tower overflow on the left. At least that’s how it is on my tank. So you have an emergency overflow on the tank. Don’t sweat it, they are good tanks. However I’m past due for a new tank myself. That eighteen inches front to back limits the aquascaping.

OP
OP
rpkneumann

rpkneumann

Texas Reefer since 2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the exact same tank. It has been up and running for nine years now. The overflow on the right is a little higher than the tower overflow on the left. At least that’s how it is on my tank. So you have an emergency overflow on the tank. Don’t sweat it, they are good tanks. However I’m past due for a new tank myself. That eighteen inches front to back limits the aquascaping.
My tank measure w/d/h 48/24/29. Which will make it hard to reach the bottom. Stand will be 32" high.

OP
OP
rpkneumann

rpkneumann

Texas Reefer since 2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going with beanimal on my dual overflow. Going to use two siphons, one secondary drain, and one emergency. The return will come over the back of the tank.
That uses up all the drilled holes (4) in the 2 overflows. How you route your returns?

resortez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be fine if you stick to the original plumbing, you have enough valves to throttle the flow & dial in the flow rate. Only thing I would add to your rough schematic are check valves on the returns if the return nozzles are several inches below the displays water line.

OP
OP
rpkneumann

rpkneumann

Texas Reefer since 2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be fine if you stick to the original plumbing, you have enough valves to throttle the flow & dial in the flow rate. Only thing I would add to your rough schematic are check valves on the returns if the return nozzles are several inches below the displays water line.
I do have check valves in both returns, Wye type. Probably hard to see in my terrible sketch. Makes sense.
The tank ran for many years with the original owner having soft plumbing and the two dorsos. So, yes, it should work fine. They did cut the teeth of the overflows. Not sure why. But I do also 3d printing and will fix it.

I’m more worried about the 1 inch thick 5 inch high glass barrier in middle of the tank bottom. It has a gap towards the tank floor but not very big.
Guess this was designed when everybody used deep sand beds.
It’s actually interesting to see how all of this works.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 72 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back