Plumbing questions

delock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I'm in the process of doing a 225 build. I need some input on how to plumb the system. I have a center overflow with three holes, one larger and two smaller one, and on each end of the tank, I have a "return hole".

What do you think the best way is to plumb this tank? Can I use the center overflow holes or incorporate the other two holes?

thanks in advance

IMG_2420.jpeg IMG_2421.jpeg Screenshot 2024-01-29 at 20.38.17.png

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The center overflow is for a three drain system.
One is an emergency standpipe the other is a gravity standpipe and the third is a siphon standpipe.
Then your returns go through the holes on the sides. It looks to me like those were drilled aftermarket. Are those coming down through the top brace?

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello,

I'm in the process of doing a 225 build. I need some input on how to plumb the system. I have a center overflow with three holes, one larger and two smaller one, and on each end of the tank, I have a "return hole".

What do you think the best way is to plumb this tank? Can I use the center overflow holes or incorporate the other two holes?

thanks in advance

IMG_2420.jpeg IMG_2421.jpeg Screenshot 2024-01-29 at 20.38.17.png
One is for return, large is an overflow and other for ato

Example:

1706581106394.png

Upvote 0

JonoH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The return holes on each side came from the factory like that.
The centre overflow should be set up as a Bean animal as @cilyjr noted.

Looks like your returns will have to come up over the top then back through, i have mine set up this way, not ideal if you dont have a bulkhead above it as you will see the pipe elbow above.

Edit...or as @vetteguy53081 noted :)

Upvote 0

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would either set this up as a bean animal or a herbie Style overflow.
As a bean animal, the large hole would be your emergency and the two smaller ones would be siphon and Trickle. Have you returned go over the back if they are not drilled in the back panel.
As a herbie, the large would be Trickle and one of the small ones would be your siphon and the other small would be your return.

Upvote 0

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a bean animal, one of the smaller holes will be with a siphon, meaning that you will have a gate valve to control the water going through with zero air. The next small hole will be the gravity meaning a trickle of water going down this pipe. That's basically going to control the water level. And the biggest hole will be for the emergency, if the other two pipes fail this will handle all the flow.

Upvote 0

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an over the top return on my last tank - I actually prefer it to a return through the back. Use black PVC for the over the top part and you don’t really notice it. You have less clutter inside the tank and less back siphon.

I would always use the larger drain hole as the emergency, the two smaller ones as the siphon and open channel.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

delock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the suggestions.

A few questions.

When using a bean-style system, what is the height of each pipe from the drain inlet of the overflow?

Can each drain feed into the same pipe going to my sump, or will I need separate lines?

As for when returns back to the tank, I decided to run the returns into the overflow box. I will use an Ecotech L2 pump with a tee to split the return into two.

Thanks alot

Upvote 0

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the suggestions.

A few questions.

When using a bean-style system, what is the height of each pipe from the drain inlet of the overflow?

Can each drain feed into the same pipe going to my sump, or will I need separate lines?

As for when returns back to the tank, I decided to run the returns into the overflow box. I will use an Ecotech L2 pump with a tee to split the return into two.

Thanks alot
Seperate lines for each drain.

Emergency will be the highest. It start straining before your carpet gets wet.

On a true bean, the other two are the same height and one is fitted with a hose. The hose will make the secondary a full syphone in a blockage type situation.

Most* people run the two pipes about 6" height differance, the higher will be just below the weir.

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back