Jono's 220 Gallon Upgrade

JonoH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally starting a post for my tank upgrade!

Have been working on this for about 3 months now very slowly building up everything i need to start getting it in place and at a point now where i need the brainstrust's help to make some final decisions!

Pics are worth 1000 words, so below is the tank i managed to pick up for this, 6 foot long, 30 inches deep and 24 inches high. (Roughly about 220 Gallon's)
New Tank 1.jpg

Have scrapped all the existing plumbing from the tank, it has dual overflows that i can set up as a Bean Animals with 32mm Pipe for the overflow and 25mm for the Emergency's, then planning on running dual 32mm returns up the back.

The old tank was used as a freshwater ray tank originally, so no salt or build up to clean up, but there are a could of marks on the glass that i will polish out before it goes in. The steel frame is in good nick, but the plywood base needs a good clean, and i will laminate this with some HPL before the sump goes.

Some context about me - I am a cabinetmaker by trade, and so plan on building this into some joinery to give plenty of storage and access to everything. Because of this i am a bit of a perfectionist (this is why this has been taking me close to 3 months already!).

My current set up is about 120 Gallons, and everything will be getting shifted across with new live rock that i have been cycling in another tank in my Garage for close to 4 months now.

This is the concept of what I would like this to look like once complete (only a rough 3d Render at this stage) -

Tank Concept.jpg

Tank Concept 2.JPG

More posts to follow, including a full run down of the gear i have, but here are my questions (for now) for the Brainstrust!

1) Are 32mm (1 1/2") Returns too large - should i downsize these to 1"?

2) I'm buying new wavemakers for this - would 2x Vortec MP40's on the LHS where they will be hidden by the joinery be enough? Or would i be better off getting 2x AI Nero7's for this?

3) 5 Lights or 4? I already have AI Hydra's for this. So i could leave a spare just in case one goes, or run with the full 5.

4) Would it be worth installing a fan above the tank to remove any moisture that may gather here to outside? (Like you would in a bathroom i guess, or is this overkill).

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck with the new project! Quick answers to some of your questions...

1. You'd probably be fine with 1" returns (I only have a pair of 3/4" returns on my 200-gallon system).
2. Tough choice on the wavemakers. You can control both through the Mobius app, so it really depends on your budget and if the wet side/dry side of the Vortechs offers an advantage over the Neros. You will probably want two MP60s, though (don't think the two MP40s will be enough).
3. I'd run the full five hydras.
4. Yes, a fan is a definite must-have to remove any residual heat/moisture. I run a compact dehumidifier in my fish room as well so that's something else that can really help.

OP
OP
JonoH

JonoH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck with the new project! Quick answers to some of your questions...

1. You'd probably be fine with 1" returns (I only have a pair of 3/4" returns on my 200-gallon system).
2. Tough choice on the wavemakers. You can control both through the Mobius app, so it really depends on your budget and if the wet side/dry side of the Vortechs offers an advantage over the Neros. You will probably want two MP60s, though (don't think the two MP40s will be enough).
3. I'd run the full five hydras.
4. Yes, a fan is a definite must-have to remove any residual heat/moisture. I run a compact dehumidifier in my fish room as well so that's something else that can really help.
Thanks for the feedback!

I suspect your right on the 1" returns, I do feel like going bigger is a bit overkill.

The wavemakers is the one i have been procrastinating on! I was thinking that if the MP40's were not enough, i could add a Gyre on the other side just to give some different flow?

Good idea on a dehumidifier, will look into it!

OP
OP
JonoH

JonoH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So one of the first tasks after cleaning the tank and removing the existing plumbing was to replace the acrylic sump covers, the old ones were badly made, not joined on the corners (basically 2 seperate pieces) and badly broken at the top.

So i detailed up some new covers to be made, and ordered them from my local Acrylic place.
New Overflow.JPG

Then proceeded to clean up the existing area, the silicone work on these was pretty messy, so i essentially cut most of it out, and fitted the new covers dry for now. Also found that the one on the right had a small leak in in when water testing it, so will fix up that when i fit the new ones also.

IMG-8902.jpg
IMG-8898.jpg

IMG-8899.jpg
IMG-8900.jpg

IMG-8901.jpg
IMG-8903.jpg

You can see the rock in the spare tank in the background of that shot
IMG-8904.jpg

Just waiting on the silicone to turn up, and i will get these all fitted off.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feedback!

I suspect your right on the 1" returns, I do feel like going bigger is a bit overkill.

The wavemakers is the one i have been procrastinating on! I was thinking that if the MP40's were not enough, i could add a Gyre on the other side just to give some different flow?

Good idea on a dehumidifier, will look into it!
I run a pair of Red Sea ReefWave45 gyres, so that's always an option as well (they can move a lot of water). They do deliver a more natural wave/flow pattern.

OP
OP
JonoH

JonoH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So have another question for everyone.

The tank has dual overflows - my sump is currenly set up with a Sock holder, i am seriously thinking about cutting this out though to allow for a fleece roller.
But
How would i plumb these into a roller - should i be connecting both overflows with a Y fitting and then into the roller?

I have the opportunity to customise the sump to suit, so keen to work out what would be best.

OP
OP
JonoH

JonoH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pic of the tank behind holding the live rock ready for some aquascaping (Its a mix of live rock, and populated dry rock, and completely dry rock that has been prepped for over 6 months now).
This stuff is absolutely loaded with life, have seen Amphipods, Copopods, Multiple types of snails and Micro stars in it so far (as well as some other stuff which is not so great which i have removed!)
Even had 4 BTA on it which i removed and sold off, already have one in the tank that is being transferred into this one, which is enough for me.
2023-09-09 16.01.05.jpg

2023-09-09 16.01.12.jpg

2023-09-09 14.58.38.jpg

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Impressive.

In looking at your 3D projection, I will make a comment.:

For such a large display, instead of being the center of attention, it looks small. Just my first impression.
1695219972042.jpeg

OP
OP
JonoH

JonoH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Impressive.

In looking at your 3D projection, I will make a comment.:

For such a large display, instead of being the center of attention, it looks small. Just my first impression.
1695219972042.jpeg
I know what you mean - the 3d software i use is using almost like a wide angle lens to capture entirety of the joinery around it, i think this is partially why.

The tank is in my Garage at the moment and it does look huge!

OP
OP
JonoH

JonoH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Order placed last week! Starting to happen, just need to wait now on it all to turn up.

2/ MP40's
1/ 120 Watt Lifeguard Aquatics UV Sterilizer
8 Bags of Caribsea Aragonite (i think i need another 3 though after laying them in the tank)
1/ Reefmat 1200
1/ Tunze Osmolator

Still need to get all the hard plumbing, but i wanted to have everything in so i can map it out properly.

OP
OP
JonoH

JonoH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up most of the plumbing i will need on Friday, so will start dry fitting that in the next week or so.

Today i cut out the filter sock section on the sump, then routed the opening in the acrylic to fit the reefmatt in better. It still sits a little higher than normal, but i think it will still work fine (any thoughts?)

Also water tested the sump to make sure it was all good - no leaks so i'm happy.

Next job is to glue in another baffle for the fuge (roughly shown in the last pic) with the skimmer and reefmatt in place.
Also will need to make a stand for the skimmer to lift it up around 4-6 inches.

1st Pic - water testing and showing the end i routed out (kept the rebate just in case it ever gets changed back to suit socks and a lid)
2023-10-07 09.39.30.jpg

2023-10-07 09.40.11.jpg

2023-10-07 09.45.31.jpg

2023-10-07 13.40.10.jpg

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking great. You won’t regret larger overflows due to maintenance issues. The could get gummed up with buildup. Fans also help with air exchange, smell, and heat. Your pH will increase, even if a little bit. Are you keeping the old tank setup and running two? Be sure to pick up extra wet side mounts for the MP40s. Makes cleaning a breeze. Also anemone guards are helpful to keep small things from going in the blender. Seriously though, so awesome!
IMG_9494.gif

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back