First large build - making sure im not missing anything!

DakotaTheHutt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, fellow reefers!

It's been a while since I did a build, and I've never done a build this large. So, I'd like some feedback and some help planning for this build from some fellow enthusiasts to make sure my T's are crossed and my I's are dotted. Once my plan is set, the build will begin!

I want to do an acro tank and was thinking bare bottom. But I also want to do some soft corals (torches, hammers, and donut coral) and sand, but I don't want the sand to be blowing everywhere. I am unsure at this stage. Any input on what to do? Any other mixed reefers want to chime in?

So here's my build and what I've gotten so far.

I'm going for a completely new build as I've never really used only new equipment, and although it's usually cheaper, the used equipment I've been getting fails quickly. whatr luck!

Tank/stand/etc,.

- 180 Gal Reef Ready Marineland Tank

- Custom stand built by my local iron workers (I'm in construction as a P.E and they built this for lil-ole desk jockey me for free, so I'm very lucky) - questions on this stand later.

Bashsea Signature Series 48

Equipment,

-Bashsea 8-30 Bio Mass Reactor Any experience with this? Should I try to trade this for something else?

Signature Series "large" skimmer—my LFS gave me this for free, so I won't turn that down. It's the only used equipment in this build.

-(2) Mp40QD's

-(3) Kessil A360x

-(1) Kessil controller

-(2) Neptune Sky's

-Apex controller

-Ehime 264 Gal heater

-Reef octo Varios 8

-Tunze 3155 osmolator

Other stuff,

-about 200 pounds of dry rock; I made sure I had plenty extra when i break them up and scape the tank.

-(6) 1" unions

-(2) 1" gate valves

I still need to get PVC and figure out how to plumb the return and drainage.

So, I have some questions..

The awesome stand I got is not perfectly level. Its about 1/16" to 1/8" off in some locations. I was thinking of putting down 1/2" pink hardy board and then 1/2" or 3/4" plywood under the tank. Would this work? I've read a lot of conflicting information about foam under a rimmed tank. I really do not want to get another stand...

I plan on having both sides as drains. Each side has its own "Herbie drain" method. Each main pipe will have a gate valve, and each emergency standpipe will be connected together under the tank into one outlet (I only have 3 filter sock holes in my sump, one for each main drain and then one for the combined emergency overflows). Any issues with this logic?

With all this, is there anything I am missing? any oversight or just bad ideal on my part?

Thanks for the read and help; I look forward to building this tank!

20240203_103138.jpg 20240203_103122.jpg 20240203_103248.jpg 20240203_103134.jpg 20240203_103203.jpg

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go with 3/4 ply for the base.

I always run with 2 heaters instead of just one. One heater is set for 76-77 the other for 77-78. That way there's a fail safe already in place.

OP
OP
DakotaTheHutt

DakotaTheHutt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go with 3/4 ply for the base.

I always run with 2 heaters instead of just one. One heater is set for 76-77 the other for 77-78. That way there's a fail safe already in place.
Good idea - Ill grab another one!

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good idea - Ill grab another one!
Truth be told I always have 3 at one time. The third I will use for heating water before changes. Also means I always have another backup.

OP
OP
DakotaTheHutt

DakotaTheHutt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Truth be told I always have 3 at one time. The third I will use for heating water before changes. Also means I always have another backup.
I do have a ton of smaller, ~40 gallon heaters i use for my freshwater. I use these for my water changes and it does make me feel better that, at worst, ill have a ton of mini heaters to use..
Side note, your profile photo reminds my of my old house i used to live in Macomb!

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have a ton of smaller, ~40 gallon heaters i use for my freshwater. I use these for my water changes and it does make me feel better that, at worst, ill have a ton of mini heaters to use..
Side note, your profile photo reminds my of my old house i used to live in Macomb!
Only about 20 minutes from me

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also there are self leveling mats made especially for aquariums. Better safe than sorry.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where would I find these?
Just one place. Amazon has them too

OP
OP
DakotaTheHutt

DakotaTheHutt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just one place. Amazon has them too

Seems mostly out of stock - Do you think this would work good -

Is 1/2" too much?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 89 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back