Woodfirefighters 235g

woodfirefighter

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 25, 2026
Messages
7
Reaction score
11
Location
Hudson
What state or country do you live in
Wisconsin
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, been lurking for a while, but finally getting on board with posting my progress over the last few months.

I ran reef tanks back in the early 2000s when I was living in North Carolina, for a little bit in MN when I moved back, but took about 15 years off until recently I started with this large tank build.

Started out with an idea for a 60" x 30 x 30" tank but eventually went with the 235g Planet Aquarium tank (72x30x25 high).

Over the past couple of months I have been building the stand, prepping the space for the stand and tank and building the sitting boxes next to the tank. I will be working on finishing up the doors for the stand the drawers for the sitting boxes next and adding some more equipment soon too.

I have my ro/di plumbed from my furnace room to my tank with a Neptune ATK running the 15g top off container next to my sump

Tank is currently:

235g Planet Aquarium Low Iron Front 72 x 30 x 25
Herbie overflow with 1.5" drains
60g breeder sump
1" returns in the overflow area to locline nozzles
2 - Vectra M2 Pumps
2 - 300watt Titanium Heaters
Neptune ATK topoff
15g RV Tank for ATO

Coming Soon:
Reef Octopus 300INT Protein Skimmer
100 lbs Pukani Rock

IMG_0800.jpeg
IMG_0783.jpeg
IMG_0808.jpeg
IMG_0832.jpeg
IMG_0842.jpeg
IMG_1017.jpeg
 
Awesome. Great pick on the color of paint.
Have you picked out your lighting yet?
 
Awesome. Great pick on the color of paint.
Have you picked out your lighting yet?
I’m going with 3 Straton Xs.

It will be a little while to wait for those, but going to focus on building out my auxiliary fish room and more automated stuff and stock with fish before I go with any coral.
 
Easy access to the space allowed us to only have to lift it off the dollies to the stand.

Nice thing about being a firefighter is that there is a lot of friends that can help lift heavy things!



IMG_3744.jpeg
 

Attachments

  • IMG_3746.mov
    14.4 MB
Nice build looking forward Im planning something similar want to learn from your adventure 😁
Thanks for following along! So much has changed in 15 years with this hobby but I am extremely excited to be doing this again!
 
Up to date pic as of 9/28/26

Added Pukani and some base rock (bleach cured the Pukani), finished the doors on the cabinet, added a 250 INT Reef Octopus skimmer, and working on electronics cabinet with Neptune system coming soon.

Pretty proud of the fit of the skimmer with the acrylic lid in the sump!

Also, cycled the tank this past month and just added two longfin snow onyx clowns and a pajama cardinal last Saturday.


20260928_154400_2CF5833C-EBD2-47A0-B5AA-9E512FA29B6B.png


20260928_154400_9DE56894-1377-4403-8162-3500285BD13B.png
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 18.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 47 34.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new