Above tank sump?

DudeBruh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uv lamp would definitely be possible. Mangroves would be cool, although I do prefer turf scrubbers/chaeto chambers. External pump? Probably a bit out of my price range, unless I can find one for cheap that would give me adequate turnover. I have a sbreefs light comming in tuesday, pretty sure it doesnt turn.
I believe there not that much more expensive.

And the light isn’t going to move I more so meant like mounting it on a moving stand. Like converting one of those adjustable standup floor lights ? If your handy with electrical It would be easy to convert. Paint it white/ black and would look pretty decent. figured it save money on a second lamp

OP
OP
P

Parkerbenz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few ideas for how I can set everything up.

Option 1:
Lifereef overflow out of the display, down to the 10g which will have all sides painted (I will get to why in just a second, there will be an unpainted strip so I can see water level). I will use one, maybe two 45w cheap hydroponics led grow light to grow chaeto in the 10g. Then I will use a cheap submersible pump to bring the water up to my 20l sump. The “main sump” will contain my skimmer, 2 4” filter socks and in the last chamber I will have a (probably 1” or larger) pvc overflow where the pump normally would be, draining back into the display. The 10g would be the only tank that has a water hight which would change.

Option 2:
Same as above, except using a 15 high in place of the 10g, same footprint, more room for an emergency.

Option 3: lifereef overflow to 10 or 15g tank below the display, which would only contain my skimmer, then pumped back up to a fuge (I dont have a tank for a fuge right now, I could remove the baffles from my 20l for a fuge...

The reason I would black out the below-display sump, is to prevent excessive algae growth from the hydroponics grow light (red and blue colored leds) into the surrounding tanks. Also so that I wouldnt have to see a purple glow from the light.

I am leaning towards option 1, but please let me know what you think!

OP
OP
P

Parkerbenz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another option is to use 2 aquaclear 110s, one for polishing and another for a mini fuge. Id really like a skimmer (idk about a HOB skimmer) and a chaeto chamber, but I still havent decided.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
CPR Backpack or reef octopus HOB very reliable and well hidden on rear of system

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%

Back