Abrasions or Disease on Coral Beauty?

RecSeven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had tried searching for similar problems but I have not come across any that looks the same. Got him Monday and he has been in an observation tank since then. He is very shy and found a cave that he could barely fit in. If anyone would enter the room he would jet inside. After the first day I noticed his back fin had a piece missing (no other tank mates in observation tank). I thought he might have got it caught in the rock work. Then later on there was another piece missing on his left fin with white coloration around the missing section. He also has spots on his head that I do not recognize from any pictures in the Diagnosis Stickies thread. It is hard to get pictures or videos of him so sorry if quality is not the best. I have medications on hand but I am not sure what I need to be treating. I can provide any other information.

2.jpeg
3.jpeg
5.gif

1.jpeg

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I see stressed related lympho as well as signs of aggression on tail. With good water quality and diet - not flakes and pellets, this can be reversed. What other tankmates do you have?

OP
OP
RecSeven

RecSeven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see stressed related lympho as well as signs of aggression on tail. With good water quality and diet - not flakes and pellets, this can be reversed. What other tankmates do you have?
I have a variety of frozen foods so I will switch to strictly that. There are no other tankmates.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a variety of frozen foods so I will switch to strictly that. There are no other tankmates.

That is what is odd about this - it looks all the world like tankmate aggression, but no other fish in the tank - weird!

Jay

OP
OP
RecSeven

RecSeven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is what is odd about this - it looks all the world like tankmate aggression, but no other fish in the tank - weird!

Jay
Yes, that is why I mentioned that he liked a really tight cave (I have since moved some rock to eliminate it). I wondered if he wasn't getting his fins caught in-between some rocks.

Weeb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what is wrong with flakes and pellets
Flakes and pellets usually use wheat or a wheat product as a binding agent. These products aren't fully digested by marine fishes and end up as a tank pollutant. Please read the ingredients list on the container of these.

For the omnivore Coral Beauty the frozen foods should be for Angelfish. Whole meaty foods (e.g. ocean mysis, ocean copepods and amphipods, combos of ocean life like plankton) and algae in the proper size, are what they eat in the wild. A 'go-to' frozen food would include:
Hikari Mega-Marine Angel food (frozen)
Ocean nutrition angel formula
LRS Herbivore diet

The Coral Beauty isn't so much a sponge eater like some of its bigger brothers, so I'd lean towards LRS Herbivore Diet (which contains meaty foods, too).

I like to use freeze-dried pods like:
Calanus finmarchicus - from Amazon or Brine Shrimp Direct

From Amazon and other sources;
Freeze-dried bloodworms (not ocean-based but I make an exception for a rare feeding)
Freeze-dried Plankton
Hikari Bio-Pure Freeze Ocean Plankton for Pets

Another is freeze-dried krill from Brine Shrimp Direct. May need some chopping up.
Chewy.com carries both the following:
Omega One freeze-dried Pacific Plankton
San Francisco Brand freeze-dried plankton.

You’ll find other sources for these products. Your local marine fish store may carry one or more. Also, Something not on the list is freeze-dried spirulina gut loaded brine shrimp. I'm not a fan of brine shrimp in general, but the gut loaded one can also be fed, sparingly, like blood worms.

Another advantage of freeze-dried foods is to soak them in vitamins like one of these:
Vita-Chem Marine
Zoe
S.E.L.C.O. Boost

At least one feeding including the vitamin soak should be done every 5-7 days or daily for an ill fish.

Hope this answers your question.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 67 44.7%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 33.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 22 14.7%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back