AC Solenoid Wiring

GThompson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wiring diagram indicates it has a ground, is there any downside to wiring ungrounded? I harvested a cord from an old appliance but it isn’t grounded
The downside is stray electrical current not having anywhere to go. Just find a cord that has three conductors and wire it accordingly

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wiring diagram indicates it has a ground, is there any downside to wiring ungrounded? I harvested a cord from an old appliance but it isn’t grounded
I wire valves, machine controls for a living, If it were me I would grab an old computer power cable WITH A Ground and use that.
Sorry folks but Everything gets a ground in my book! and Black and white matter! yes it will work in theory but try plugging it in a GFCI ;) Best of luck on your project!

Last edited:
OP
OP
skyrne_isk

skyrne_isk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh my god, I didnt know ehcotech made these :)
right? ordered tuesday, got here today. it’s perfect. it makes the neptune solenoid, which is pretty much the same price, look like a joke. grabbed some jg push fittings and i’m in business

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to add some Coils like solinoids are not phase sensitive so you are right that wont matter unless it has A silver terminal (white) and a gold (BLK)

OP
OP
skyrne_isk

skyrne_isk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wire valves, machine controls for a living, If it were me I would grab an old computer power cable WITH A Ground and use that.
Sorry folks but Everything gets a ground in my book! and Black and white matter! yes it will work in theory but try plugging it in a GFCI ;) Best of luck on your project!
k. i’ll go with grounded

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a properly functioning GFI outlet, it should negate the need for a ground, but I still agree with @siggy - if it were a 12V solenoid it wouldn't be as big a deal, but you're dealing with 120V AC that has much more potential to cause problems.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Doc ;)
If you have a properly functioning GFI outlet, it should negate the need for a ground, I was referring if they wired an ac device Bass-Aack wards

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Doc ;)
If you have a properly functioning GFI outlet, it should negate the need for a ground, I was referring if they wired an ac device Bass-Aack wards
Well, we all know that everyone has properly functioning GFI's for their equipment, right? :p

Regardless, GFIs can be installed incorrectly and can also go bad with time. It's better to have a ground and not need it then need it and not have it!

OP
OP
skyrne_isk

skyrne_isk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so here’s how I wired up the AC solenoid - these DIN connectors are super cool. way better than butt connectors and the like. for anyone reading along later - white is apparently neutral and green is ground. I happen to find an old LED power cord laying around and just stripped the wire - easy.

bad news is, I tried replumbing the setup with the solenoid but without the check valve and no dice - there was all kinds of kalk in the RO reservoir. why is this? I would have though with a NC solenoid nothing could back siphon but when the pumps kicked on and the solenoid opened - a bunch of kalk from the reactor dumped into the ATO reservoir

0CAA0123-4407-4662-9B0E-EF62F8161904.jpeg

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back