acan echinata or acan lord?

  • Thread starter Thread starter RCRed
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

RCRed

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 27, 2026
Messages
5
Reaction score
3
Location
Manchester, UK
What state or country do you live in
United Kingdom
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to ask when I bought,
Is this coral I got acan echinata or acan lord (micromsussa)?
How do you tell the difference?
20260720_62626 pm_90B21E3A-E6C9-43B7-B41A-DFC8E11F3ABF.png
 
The coenosarc/mantle of Micromussa (lords) forms a lip above the theca giving the corallites a plocoid appearance. Acanthastrea (echinata) has concentric wrinkles/"warts" on its mantle/coenosarc.

Your coral is neither Acanthastrea nor Micromussa, but Dipsastraea rosaria.
 
The coenosarc/mantle of Micromussa (lords) forms a lip above the theca giving the corallites a plocoid appearance. Acanthastrea (echinata) has concentric wrinkles/"warts" on its mantle/coenosarc.

Your coral is neither Acanthastrea nor Micromussa, but Dipsastraea rosaria.
I was thinking favia too but the skeletal structure on the mantle looks a little more raised than a favia.
 
The coenosarc/mantle of Micromussa (lords) forms a lip above the theca giving the corallites a plocoid appearance. Acanthastrea (echinata) has concentric wrinkles/"warts" on its mantle/coenosarc.

Your coral is neither Acanthastrea nor Micromussa, but Dipsastraea rosaria.
I was thinking favia too but the skeletal structure on the mantle looks a little more raised than a favia.
Dipsastraea is (ex-)Favia
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 11 25.0%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 16 36.4%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 5 11.4%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 6.8%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 5 11.4%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 6.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new