Acan ?

coralcollage

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
today I noticed my acan looking "flat" and not extending like it normally does.

The lights on my tank have been off for about an hour now, and I checked to see if it had it's feeder tentacles out. It does seem to have them out when the lights are off, but not very far.

It's been really "puffy" ever since I got it, showing it's tentacles during the day, until now.

Here are my levels (Just ordered Salifert Magnesium test)

Salinity - 1.023
pH - 7.8 (Can't seem to get this up?)
Ammonia - 0
Nitrate - 5
Nitrite - 0
Phosphate - 0.25
Calcium - 500
Carbonate Hardness - 11

Not sure what's wrong? All of my other corals are doing great. Including my other 2 LPS (trumpet, frogspawn).

Thanks for the help,
coralcollage

TriggerThis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed they respond a lot to magnesium levels in the tank.
Also is there something bothering it? Is there a worm touching it or a fish pecking it or a shrimp on it? A tube worm touching it underneath?

rossco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine have always randomly had a period of 2-3 days where they kind of deflate, won't eat even if the food is dropped right on them. In a few days they are back to normal. I would consider it normal unless it persists longer.

Last edited:

Tab28

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you mentioned your ph is low. Your calcium is high. I am guessing your alk and magnesium are also not at good levels. Your ph/alk/calcium and magnesium need to be somewhat balanced to each other or you will not have good ph/alk levels without adding buffers every few days. Once your mag/alk/ph balance with your calcium. It will lower to proper level and alk/ph will stabilize.

OP
OP
coralcollage

coralcollage

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you mentioned your ph is low. Your calcium is high. I am guessing your alk and magnesium are also not at good levels. Your ph/alk/calcium and magnesium need to be somewhat balanced to each other or you will not have good ph/alk levels without adding buffers every few days. Once your mag/alk/ph balance with your calcium. It will lower to proper level and alk/ph will stabilize.

The acan has been doing fine for the last few days now. I am curious what my mag is at as well.

Do you think the use of tap water could throw ph/alk/cal off?

I have recently converted to RO/DI water as well as switching from IO to RC. Maybe that was irritating the acan?

Thanks.

Tab28

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many lps have a day or two where they just have a don't want to show off. RO water is always better than tap. Which most have some copper in it. It will take awhile before your tank is tap water free. How do you dose for alk/ph/mag/calcium?

OP
OP
coralcollage

coralcollage

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many lps have a day or two where they just have a don't want to show off. RO water is always better than tap. Which most have some copper in it. It will take awhile before your tank is tap water free. How do you dose for alk/ph/mag/calcium?

I know RO water is better. I was just wondering if the conversion of salts and water would irritate the Acan.

Tab28

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mag is good but low for calcium that high. Mag should be 3x calcium which should be 400-420. Ph & alk should be 8-10. Any change is water will cause corals to sulk for a while. Newer or sensitive corals more so than hardier or ones that are use to your water changes. How long are you mixing salt before adding to your tank?

OP
OP
coralcollage

coralcollage

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mag is good but low for calcium that high. Mag should be 3x calcium which should be 400-420. Ph & alk should be 8-10. Any change is water will cause corals to sulk for a while. Newer or sensitive corals more so than hardier or ones that are use to your water changes. How long are you mixing salt before adding to your tank?

How long should I mix the salt before adding? I normally mix 1 hr before adding.

Tab28

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a running debate on how long. Most use 24 hours. This will stabilize ph, temp, and salinity. Others an hour or less. The problem with a short time is salinity may not be right since a true reading is not available that quick. Ph on new mix is generally high and depending on tank size could ph shock. Temp may not be same as tank. Fish generally will show ph stress before coral. So if you have not noticed a stress to corals after a water change it is hard to say your time is too soon.

OP
OP
coralcollage

coralcollage

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a running debate on how long. Most use 24 hours. This will stabilize ph, temp, and salinity. Others an hour or less. The problem with a short time is salinity may not be right since a true reading is not available that quick. Ph on new mix is generally high and depending on tank size could ph shock. Temp may not be same as tank. Fish generally will show ph stress before coral. So if you have not noticed a stress to corals after a water change it is hard to say your time is too soon.

Thanks for the help. I'll try mixing for a day before adding and see how that goes.

I've also been considering getting a larger system (55 or 75 gallon) to help with stability, and then convert my current 29 gallon into a sump/refugium.

Almondsaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long should I mix the salt before adding? I normally mix 1 hr before adding.

I too mix my salt 24 hours in advance before I use it and keep a pump in the mixing container (a Brute Trash Bin) to keep constant movement. You can use a powerhead or a spare pump that you have around.

The many who runs the LFS is very knowledgable and he told me to run my Mag a little higher than norm and to not fuss about my PH as long as it was at 8.3 or above. I mainly keep acans and it has worked for me - nice and extended polyps. HTH.

You didn't ask, but I also make sure that i take a turkey baster and move any debris that might have landed near/on my frags to keep the clean. If I notice that nay skeleton has got red on it (not coraline) then I start treating as that is a bad signal of an infection to the healthy coralite structure. I dip Coral Pro Cure by Tropic Marin. many more tips - I really try to pay attention - to the coral behavior as you are. Pays off in the end. Good luck.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 48 73.8%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 8 12.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.1%
Back