Acans in a SPS dominated tank?

wakeboardgeek

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 14, 2011
Messages
330
Reaction score
0
Location
Southern Maryland
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've designed my system as a SPS system (BB, high flow, halides) but was wondering if anyone has had luck with SPS and acans. I know acans like "dirty" water so would this even be doable? Any advice/experiences would be great. Thanks!
 
doable, put them at the bottom near the corners of the tank (lower flow and light), spot feed them 3 times a week. When you feed, turn the pump off until the acan's mouth completely closed ingesting the food.
 
You just described my tank. SPS and acans. Totally doable. I don't even target feed them. I just let them catch what they can when I feed the fish.

You can see a few of them in this bad iPhone pic.

5DC34868-30D3-487E-BEB1-2D908DD7A143-716-000000502FBA0180.jpg
 
Last edited:
Keeping any particular type of coral isn't exclusive of the others per se. People have even kept "dirty water" leathers and SPS together. Acans should do fine with SPS, and will help fill the lower light level areas of a tank. Personally, I find a mix of SPS, LPS, and softies a more natural look, and I prefer that, but it's up to each person.
 
The dirty water method is a myth imo. Acans are going to like lower light, lower flow better but they can live and thrive in just about any of our environments as long as care is taken.


Sent Via the R2R Forum APP
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 3 15.0%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 4 20.0%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 1 5.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 3 15.0%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 9 45.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new