Acantho or scoly

  • Thread starter Thread starter nasdds
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

nasdds

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 27, 2022
Messages
120
Reaction score
51
Location
milton
What state or country do you live in
Georgia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I bought this coral 6 months ago as a scoly but based on the texture and the way it spreads out it looks like an Acantho to me. Any insights?

IMG_0722.jpeg IMG_0721.jpeg
 
My guess is this is a very happy Scoly.

Acanthos and Scolies also have different skeletal structures, and comparing that is oftentimes the most accurate way to distinguish them.
That’s what I’m leaning towards as well
 
Acanthophyllia have more exert septa than scolys (Homophyllia australis).
 
So I bought this coral 6 months ago as a scoly but based on the texture and the way it spreads out it looks like an Acantho to me. Any insights?

IMG_0722.jpeg IMG_0721.jpeg

Looks like a homophyllia australis (scoly) mine used to do that when they were super happy!

Screenshot_20231031_123857_Gallery.jpg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 11 42.3%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 7 26.9%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 2 7.7%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 3.8%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 3.8%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new