Acanthophyllia help

yokedreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had this meat coral for at least a month and placed it on in the middle of my tank on the rockwork but it never opened up fully. I have another acanthophyllia that is doing fine and all my other coral so i don’t think it’s a parameter problem. I just added it to the sand in the container today and it looks better than before. There is algae on the skeleton but it’s hard to remove it without touching the coral tissue. Any thoughts?

IMG_8147.jpeg IMG_8146.jpeg IMG_8145.jpeg

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They need to be on the sand, not rockwork, for future reference.

I would just keep it there and keep parameters in line. Feed it mysis if it shows feeders.

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hydrogen peroxide dip to remove the algae, dose a little iodine,and keep it well fed. It will never regrow the skeleton unless you purge it of algae.
For future reference, Acanthophyllia are exclusively sand dwelling creatures that need to feel support under their mantle.
Good luck! These guys can be really hard to bring back from the brink, I've only done it a couple times. Usually helps to start earlier, but you've got a good situation going.

Kellie in CA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Get a cover for it. When my Acantho went through a downturn a shrimp kept picking at his mouth. I put one of those feeder covers on it and it improved greatly in a week. I just lifted it up a few times a day to make sure fresh water got inside.

OP
OP
Y

yokedreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hydrogen peroxide dip to remove the algae, dose a little iodine,and keep it well fed. It will never regrow the skeleton unless you purge it of algae.
For future reference, Acanthophyllia are exclusively sand dwelling creatures that need to feel support under their mantle.
Good luck! These guys can be really hard to bring back from the brink, I've only done it a couple times. Usually helps to start earlier, but you've got a good situation going.
Thanks for the tip. For the iodine, dose it with the peroxide or in the display?

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the tip. For the iodine, dose it with the peroxide or in the display?
Lol I didn't phrase that well, my bad. Peroxide dip (there's a recipe on the forums) to remove the algae, then an iodine dip a few hours later. Iodine is a crucial element for LPS and soft coral health, they adsorb it very fast from the aquarium water so it's wise to keep this level adequate through dosing. Lugols iodine from Brightwell has dosing and dipping instructions on the bottle.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 99 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.9%
Back