Torch vs acanthophyllia: sting

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the most beautiful acanthophyllia I’ve ever seen in my life. I put it next to my torch colony.

They haven‘t touched, but I closed the lights to feed the corals because the fish were stealing the food directly from their tentacles.

I saw 2-3 tentacles from the torch directly attached to the new acanthophyllia coral.

Will this be an issue?

Picture is to show the torch next to the acanthophyllia. I detached the torch‘s tentacles with a turkey baster, but that’s obviously only a temporary solution
IMG_7891.jpeg

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to separate them. My bet is the torch will win and eventually stress the other coral to death. I seen it with zoas, acros, acan, and more. Torch will torch any other coral it comes into contact with.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys.

I moved the torch more to the right.

How do you guys keep torches in a mixed reef? I can imagine these things taking over a large span. Torches aren’t my main focus, so it’s kind of nerve wracking knowing that anything in their path is as good as dead.

I have a small Goniopora and torch nearby. In several months, I might have the same issue here:

image.jpg

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys.

I moved the torch more to the right.

How do you guys keep torches in a mixed reef? I can imagine these things taking over a large span. Torches aren’t my main focus, so it’s kind of nerve wracking knowing that anything in their path is as good as dead.

I have a small Goniopora and torch nearby. In several months, I might have the same issue here:

image.jpg
Simple, I don't :)

Ok so maybe it's due to me not wanting to dealt with euphyllia-eating flatworms but if I did keep them I'd do maybe sandbed or isolated rock (similar to what I did with my galaxea, pectinia and A. Pachysepta, even though ironically I've never seen a sweeper from either of them)

Shibaken3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put mine on a floating rock so they are in the middle and not interfering with anything. The sad thing is I only got one torch yet lol

Attachments

• 20231225_160111.jpg
    20231225_160111.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 60
OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put mine on a floating rock so they are in the middle and not interfering with anything. The sad thing is I only got one torch yet lol
With time, that torch will reach both of those acros to the left and right. Easily. Mine is the size of a medium to large grapefruit.

LPS Bum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad you moved the Torch. Acanthophyllia are my fav corals (I have 5 of them) and I wouldn’t risk them for anything. They typically don’t fare too well in battles with other corals.

I’d put the Torch at the end of your rock work and have the current blow its tentacles into open water. That’s how I do it in my system.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad you moved the Torch. Acanthophyllia are my fav corals (I have 5 of them) and I wouldn’t risk them for anything. They typically don’t fare too well in battles with other corals.

I’d put the Torch at the end of your rock work and have the current blow its tentacles into open water. That’s how I do it in my system.
Can I see your acanthophyllia corals? :)

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a relatively small tank so real estate is a thing. The only way I manage to avoid coral death from my torches is constant fragging to keep my colonies the appropriate size for the area that they are in, otherwise I would be dealing with surrounding coral death.
D9C96F57-6E02-449A-B153-28CD23F00D01.jpeg

Last edited:

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See my tank thread for my torch placement. I use magnetic branch with platforms and the torch is high and has low zoa below it. Other torches are on rock with space around then. My acan are on sandbed

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a relatively small tank so real estate is a thing. The only way I manage to avoid coral death from my torches is constant fragging to keep my colonies the appropriate size for the are that they are in, otherwise I would be dealing with surrounding coral death.
D9C96F57-6E02-449A-B153-28CD23F00D01.jpeg
GREAT idea!!! Thank you!!!!!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back