Risks of having different Euphyllia Torch species together

bubbgee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any known risks such as chemical warfare or stinging between different species of Indo vs Australian and Malaysian torches next to each other?
I am struggling with BJD with just certain torches (either Australian and Malaysian) but my Indonesian ones are super happy. Just wondering if BJD of my Australian and Malaysian torches are triggered by stinging or chemical attacks from my Indonesian torches.

Any guidance or experience is appreciated. I have moved the torches around to space out the non-Indo torches away and grouped the Indo ones together.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BJD is caused by poor tank environment that cause corals to go into stress mode so their immune systems fail thus allowing BJD to gain hold.

OP
OP
B

bubbgee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree and I've corrected the problem for the most part including water changes and performed coral dips. I am just wondering if there's any issue mixing torches next to each other and causing problems and stress. I am looking for a root cause as not all my torches have issues.

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a dozen different torches right next to each other and they all do well together.

49098669-B6A4-43CE-9FE5-1BBB0D17560C.jpeg

College_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they are all Indonesian, you can have them together. Same thing for Australian. However, mixed species from different regions, can sting and kill each other so you just have to be careful. A good way to tell is to see if their tentacles stick when they touch each other. If they do, they can sting, if they just intermingle and all flow together, they're fine.

OP
OP
B

bubbgee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they are all Indonesian, you can have them together. Same thing for Australian. However, mixed species from different regions, can sting and kill each other so you just have to be careful. A good way to tell is to see if their tentacles stick when they touch each other. If they do, they can sting, if they just intermingle and all flow together, they're fine.
Yes, this is what I was thinking. The Indonesian ones tentacles extended further once I moved the Malaysian one away from them.

Plus are wild harvested torches more inclined to have issues with BJD? My indo are aquacultured (as far as I know). The Malaysian and Australian are colonies from the wild, I believe.

OP
OP
B

bubbgee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine have been happy together for a couple years, I don’t think that is your root cause. Can you list your parameters?
E6578BBF-EDCB-4D47-BC37-975546284393.jpeg
Looks like all of them are Indonesian. I am waiting for salifert test kits as my Hanna test kits are probably off which got me in this mess in the first place.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This would seem accurate but I have indo, Malaysia and Australia all bunched together for multiple years now with no issues but trying to mix specific torches in with this established group has presented difficulties. A rasta torch did not do well in the aforementioned group for some reason but can't say for certain coral aggression was the reason.

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, this is what I was thinking. The Indonesian ones tentacles extended further once I moved the Malaysian one away from them.

Plus are wild harvested torches more inclined to have issues with BJD? My indo are aquacultured (as far as I know). The Malaysian and Australian are colonies from the wild, I believe.
Wild harvested torches will definitely have more issues with adapting to a new system which may in turn lead to BJD. I wouldn’t say they are more prone to BJD but they definitely do not do as well in our little glass boxes compared to the hardy ones that have been growing in them for years.

As usual, stable parameters and great water quality will help any specimen whether wild caught or aquacultured. Best of luck and let us know whether you discover anything once you’ve gotten your new tests!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 70 75.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back