Assistance Needed with Euphyllia Corals

RickvDam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I've reached out a few times regarding an issue I'm facing with my Euphyllia corals, but unfortunately, I haven't had much success in resolving it.

I have two Euphyllia specimens – a small hammer I've had for the past 5 months and a torch that I recently acquired about a week ago.

Previously, my hammer was thriving and opening beautifully until I changed my return pump. Despite my efforts, including relocating it to four different spots and adjusting the flow multiple times, it hasn't fully recovered. Currently, I've placed it on the sand, and while it's slowly opening, it appears somewhat sad and droopy. Additionally, there has been no noticeable growth in the five months since I acquired it.

About a week ago, I introduced a torch coral to my tank. Unfortunately, it turned out to be slightly larger than expected, limiting the available spots for placement. When positioned on the sand, it partially opens, but when placed elsewhere on the rocks, it opens even less. Ideally, I'd like to find a suitable spot on the rocks with a bit more PAR for both the hammer and the torch.

IMG_5973.jpeg

IMG_5974.jpeg

All my other corals in the tank are flourishing, showing signs of happiness and robust growth. I've shared videos showcasing the flow and parameters in the hope that someone might be able to identify the issues.
IMG_5992.jpeg

I appreciate any advice or insights you can provide.

Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_5972.MOV
    40.2 MB

Magic031707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hammers and torches can be hit ot miss. I've had some that wanted too be at the bottom of the tank with barely any flow and about 70 par. Then I have some that like moderate flow and in about 180 par. Onvmce you move it leave it be for about a week and see how it does. Ime, they have done better with Mag up around 1400. What are your phosphates? Mine do better in the .07 to. 10ppm range. Under or higher than that they seem unhappy. Maybe get your nitrates down to the 10-15ppm range. 25ppm is not bad though.

OP
OP
R

RickvDam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hammers and torches can be hit ot miss. I've had some that wanted too be at the bottom of the tank with barely any flow and about 70 par. Then I have some that like moderate flow and in about 180 par. Onvmce you move it leave it be for about a week and see how it does. Ime, they have done better with Mag up around 1400. What are your phosphates? Mine do better in the .07 to. 10ppm range. Under or higher than that they seem unhappy. Maybe get your nitrates down to the 10-15ppm range. 25ppm is not bad though.
Phosphates are 0,034. They stay pretty consistant. Eventually I want to add sps, so I’d rather not have higher Phosphates.

Lowering my nitrates is a work in progress. They used to be higher haha. I can try to raise my magnesium.

For now should I place it somewhere, wait a week and then place it somewhere else if it doesn’t start looking better?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back