Euphyllia Issue in Biocube 32

docscorals

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 13, 2025
Messages
652
Reaction score
597
Location
Madison
What state or country do you live in
Alabama
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I shared a while back that I set up a soft coral and Euphyllia tank for my mom in a Biocube 32. Things were going great until about 6 weeks ago when her hammer corals started dying off. Not BJD. The flesh band begins to recede and the polyps just drop off. I have seen this happen every now and then in my tanks in the past, but not as systemic as this.

Everything else in the tank is doing well. She has a torch that is blossoming and one hammer coral that is doing great. Her leather corals, mushrooms, and Zoas are all looking really healthy. So are her two blastos.

The tank has good flow, and I upgraded the filtration from day 1 with an intank tower.

Numbers:
Alkalinity - 11
Calcium - 450
Magnesium - 1450
Ph - 7.85-7.9
Nitrates ~ 30
Phosphates 0.15

Stock list:
Aiptasia eating filefish
Clown wrasse
Yellow watchman and pistol shrimp
Purple Firefish
Six Line
Springer Damsel
Lawnmower Blenny
2 Clowns

I just had an ICP and the numbers were not too bad. Slightly elevated aluminum and zinc, but not drastic. Everything else is being corrected with moonshiners (per typical for this tank).

I have checked a couple of the hammers for flatworms and not seen any evidence. I have ruled out everything I can think of and would love some suggestions. My mom loves this tank and hates seeing the die off 😭. She had 7 hammers and is down to 3. The weird things is, the hammer still going strong is separated from the rest. The healthy one is on the left side of the tank and the others are in the back right. The torch is on the front right and is doing well. It like that one corner. I can’t figure it out.
 
Last edited:
I shared a while back that I set up a soft coral and Euphyllia tank for my mom in a Biocube 32. Things were going great until about 6 weeks ago when her hammer corals started dying off. Not BJD. The flesh band begins to recede and the polyps just drop off. I have seen this happen every now and then in my tanks in the past, but not as systemic as this.
My guess is contaminant...I've had this issue before where seemingly random LPS (maybe always Eyphilia) would have issues, including the ultimate weirdo problem, poly bailout – but while the rest of the corals seem happy.

Are you making your own RODI water? What is your setup like?

The tank has good flow, and I upgraded the filtration from day 1 with an intank tower.
What do you have for cleaning and filtering the tank?

(Yank any aluminum based "bio blocks" as they are not needed in a reef AND causing the alunimum issue you mention below.)
Numbers:
Alkalinity - 11
Calcium - 450
Magnesium - 1450
Ph - 7.85-7.9
Nitrates ~ 30
Phosphates 0.15
What is the salinity/s.g. and tank temperature?

Stock list:
Aiptasia eating filefish
Clown wrasse
Yellow watchman and pistol shrimp
Purple Firefish
Six Line
Springer Damsel
Lawnmower Blenny
2 Clowns
Sounds like a ton of fish in a tiny tank....not my first guess, but any chance somebody (or multiple somebodies) were picking on it?

I have checked a couple of the hammers for flatworms and not seen any evidence. I have ruled out everything I can think of and would love some suggestions. My mom loves this tank and hates seeing the die off 😭. She had 7 hammers and is down to 3. The weird things is, the hammer still going strong is separated from the rest. The healthy one is on the left side of the tank and the others are in the back right. The torch is on the front right and is doing well. It like that one corner. I can’t figure it out.
Some intensive nighttime viewing could reveal something.
 
I shared a while back that I set up a soft coral and Euphyllia tank for my mom in a Biocube 32. Things were going great until about 6 weeks ago when her hammer corals started dying off. Not BJD. The flesh band begins to recede and the polyps just drop off. I have seen this happen every now and then in my tanks in the past, but not as systemic as this.

Everything else in the tank is doing well. She has a torch that is blossoming and one hammer coral that is doing great. Her leather corals, mushrooms, and Zoas are all looking really healthy. So are her two blastos.

The tank has good flow, and I upgraded the filtration from day 1 with an intank tower.

Numbers:
Alkalinity - 11
Calcium - 450
Magnesium - 1450
Ph - 7.85-7.9
Nitrates ~ 30
Phosphates 0.15

Stock list:
Aiptasia eating filefish
Clown wrasse
Yellow watchman and pistol shrimp
Purple Firefish
Six Line
Springer Damsel
Lawnmower Blenny
2 Clowns

I just had an ICP and the numbers were not too bad. Slightly elevated aluminum and zinc, but not drastic. Everything else is being corrected with moonshiners (per typical for this tank).

I have checked a couple of the hammers for flatworms and not seen any evidence. I have ruled out everything I can think of and would love some suggestions. My mom loves this tank and hates seeing the die off 😭. She had 7 hammers and is down to 3. The weird things is, the hammer still going strong is separated from the rest. The healthy one is on the left side of the tank and the others are in the back right. The torch is on the front right and is doing well. It like that one corner. I can’t figure it out.
Any chance the flow changed (accidentally bumping the return/powerhead)? The only time I had a torch bailout was when I stuck a powerhead right on it.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 19 21.6%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 26 29.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 10.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 11 12.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 8.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new