Ricks Waterbox Peninsula Mini 15

RickvDam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings everyone, and a warm welcome to my inaugural foray into the captivating world of saltwater.

My fascination with fish tanks dates back to my early years at 7-8, sparking a lasting interest. Over time, I've managed both small and larger tanks, cultivating my passion. Venturing into saltwater has been a long-standing aspiration, hindered by the associated costs during my younger years. Even after acquiring my Peninsula nearly two years ago, life's demands continually delayed my entry into this realm. After months of diligent saving and amassing all the necessary equipment, my tank is now flourishing, celebrating its 7-month milestone.

TANK
- Waterbox Peninsula 15
- Waterbox Mesh lid

SALT
- Red Sea Blue Bucket

LIGHTS
- AI Prime 16HD with custom schedule

FILTER/CIRCULATION
- Activated Carbon and Filter floss
- AI Axis 20
- AI Nero 3
- Tunze Doc 9001

SAND/ROCK
- 10lbs of Aqua Natural Coarse Aragonite
- 15lbs of Dry Rock for the aqua scape

Temperature Control
- 150W Tetra Heater
- D&D temperature controller
- Cooling fans (They work pretty good but for the next summer I will probably buy something a bit better.)

TESTING
- H2Ocean Refractometer
- Salifert tests
- Hanna Phosphate

ACCESSORIES
- Nano Flipper Float
- UV
- Microscope
- Food
- H2Ocean ATO
- Buckets / Spray bottles for cleaning
- Gravel Vacuum
- A crap ton more. Doesn't even fit in the aquarium cabinet anymore. Reef stuff has taken over a few other cabinets.

Dosing
- Red Sea AB+
- Nyos Phosphate+
- Nyos Nitrate+

CURRENT STOCKING
- 2 x Clownfish

CURRENT CORALS
- Euphyllia Hammer Green
- Euphyllia Torch Green
- Ricordea Florida Green
- Acanthastrea Red
- Neon GSP
- Standard GSP
- Caulastrea SPP Blue
- Zoanthus garden
  • Zoanthus Pink Diamond​
  • Zoanthus Rastas​
  • Zoanthus La lakers (yellow)​
  • Zoanthus Alien Antivenom​
  • Zoanthus Lord of the rings​
  • Zoanthus Nirvana​
  • Zoanthus Blue Walters​
  • Zoanthus Pink Vampire​
  • Zoanthus Water Melon​
  • Zoanthus Mind Tricks​

ADDITIONAL STOCKING PLAN
- Would like another small fish, haven't really decided yet.

CURRENT CLEAN UP CREW
I had so many great plans on keeping this list updated but if I'm honest I have no idea... I know I have snails and hermits, a lot of babies too. That's all I know.
- Starfish

ADDITIONAL CLEAN UP CREW PLAN
- 2x Emerald crab
- 2x Sexy Shrimp

TO-DO'S
- Redo cable management (Upgraded a few things and now have more plugs then sockets...)

ED6E3E21-614E-4934-9E28-7512FD475551.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

RickvDam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WEEKLY UPDATE:

Dinos made a return—persistent little creatures. Two days after finally eliminating my UV, I had to reinstall it. Unfortunately, the saltwater hobby isn't widely popular in the Netherlands, making it challenging to find equipment. I sought an internal UV for my back chambers but encountered options that were just 0.5CM too long. Recently, a remarkably tiny UV arrived, and I plan to install it in a few days. Despite its 0.5W power and a rating for up to 50G, it garnered great reviews.

The UV's outlet is a tad too small for my tubing, so I'll need to order some plastic tube clamps. Initially, I'll use zip ties and a bit of silicone for testing before committing to a €20 clamp purchase. Additionally, with my equipment list expanding, my power strip is full, prompting me to order a 10-socket strip with 4 USB ports. Cable management will be a challenge, especially figuring out how to reach the plug behind the cabinet.

1F3BC05C-6EB3-4055-A3BF-97083358D643.jpeg

I've posted several threads about my flow issues. After numerous attempts, I finally achieved a setup where all corals are thriving. Placing my Nero near the sand, aimed upward, and adjusting the return nozzle slightly downward seemed unconventional but works remarkably well. However, turnover remains a puzzle. I've reduced the return pump to 10X, following recommendations for filter efficiency. Yet, my Nero, at only 15-20%, is already providing nearly 60X turnover, contrary to the usual 30X guideline for LSP.

While not everyone finds Candy Canes fascinating, I'm fond of them. Taking advantage of a coral seller's sale, I purchased a small frag of every other coral they had (three frags in total). Due to a packaging error, delivery is postponed until tomorrow, heightening my excitement.

The zoa garden continues its explosive growth, with new heads appearing daily. Furthermore, my GSP has started growing on the wall.

55802E8E-2FEB-4A18-B358-89ABD151EF41.jpeg

In summary, it's been a productive week, and with pending shipments, I anticipate the next week to be just as eventful.

OP
OP
R

RickvDam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along as we have the same tank! Looking awesome so far!

Question for you - how did you get the GSP to start growing on the wall?
Sorry for the slow reply. Made a few changes in the tank and will update the thread tomorrow.

The way I did was order a small but thick algae cleaner. Glue the GSP on the cleaner which sticks way better. After a while the whole cleaner will be grown over and the only way to go is onto the wall. At that point you can make a cut between the cleaner and glass and move the cleaner with GSP so all parts off the wall will be covered.

Macbalacano

Recovering Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the slow reply. Made a few changes in the tank and will update the thread tomorrow.

The way I did was order a small but thick algae cleaner. Glue the GSP on the cleaner which sticks way better. After a while the whole cleaner will be grown over and the only way to go is onto the wall. At that point you can make a cut between the cleaner and glass and move the cleaner with GSP so all parts off the wall will be covered.
This is brilliant, thank you!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back