Acceptable CO2 in the tank room.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read many posts about the affect CO2 in the tank room can have on depressing HP that's a given. However what I have not been able to find out is what is considered a low/acceptable level of CO2.

I have just installed a digital CO2 meter in my tank room currently reading 847ppm. That reading was taken when nobody had been in the room for 20 mins . I just went in took a quick photo and came straight out. Later in the evening I will take reading when I have been in the room a couple of hours, I am sure it will rise.

So my question is what are reasonable acceptable levels of CO2 for the tank room?Obviously the lower the better but zero readings will bever be achieved due to natural CO2 levels.

Perhaps that's a question for @Randy Holmes-Farley but I would also like to hear others view and experience.
Thanks.

20220301_112718.jpg

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the real question is what are you going to do about it? I believe 800 is the “safe limit” for humans,

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the real question is what are you going to do about it? I believe 800 is the “safe limit” for humans,
Actually that's not rhe real question at all. The real question is the one I asked. First you need to find out what an acceptable level is before you do anything about it. Knowing your level and what you need to achieve.
Then think how best to achieve it. Hence why I ask the question in the first instance. I may go the soda line to skimmer if I need to bring it down or simply if opening a window will do the trick.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually that's not rhe real question at all. The real question is the one I asked. First you need to find out what an acceptable level is before you do anything about it. Knowing your level and what you need to achieve.
Then think how best to achieve it. Hence why I ask the question in the first instance. I may go the soda line to skimmer if I need to bring it down or simply if opening a window will do the trick.

No because if you are not going to take action who cares what your room CO2 is? If you are planning on taking action then do it

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No because if you are not going to take action who cares what your room CO2 is? If you are planning on taking action then do it
Maybe you should read what I wrote again in my last post as I am not sure you grasped my thinking.
My strategy is first to know what kind of level I need to achieve. Secondly measure to establish what my current levels are then thirdly how am I going to achieve my desired level.

Now you might disagree but my way is sound and stood me in good stead for around 37years with all parameters I wish to aim for. Works for me and I suspect the majority as it's built on sound principles.

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, using my strategy above I have reduced my tank room CO2 level from 847ppm to 574ppm
Always try the simplest possible solution first which was to increase the ventilation in the room first.i simple opened a transom window.
That is close to acceptable after the window was open for about an hour, might go down further with a bit more time with the window open. However, ia sunny day but it's still winter here so she who must be obeyed won't be happy if it gets colder later.

20220301_165729.jpg

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soooooo I moved the meter into the aquarium cabinet and got an interesting result
576ppm. My next move is to add a extend my skimmer air intake out of the cabinet. I will.put the open end of the air inlet tube higher than the existing ones as CO2 is a heavy gas and will concentrate lower down.

20220301_172943.jpg

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 26 22.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 83 72.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back