Mangroves for co2 removal vs co2 scrubber

  • Thread starter Thread starter ARGYGANG
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

ARGYGANG

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 25, 2022
Messages
532
Reaction score
217
Location
columbia
What state or country do you live in
South Carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I’m curious if a few mangroves added to my basement tanks would help raise ph by consuming the co2 in the room. I know they arnt to great for nutrient removal but I’m making the assumption they might do decent work for removing co2 from the air since they are a tree haha. Anyone think it’s worth a shot? Co2 scrubbers are a bit pricey to run for the amount of tanks I have.
 
Might want to reach out to Julian Sprung as I believe he's the leading authority on this subject although at what cost to illuminate and draw that co2 along with the fact that at night it will draw oxygen and expel co2. An air exchanger seems to be the universal agreed best solution overall. Path I've been headed and likely finishing.
 
Hi I’m curious if a few mangroves added to my basement tanks would help raise ph by consuming the co2 in the room. I know they arnt to great for nutrient removal but I’m making the assumption they might do decent work for removing co2 from the air since they are a tree haha. Anyone think it’s worth a shot? Co2 scrubbers are a bit pricey to run for the amount of tanks I have.
I expect you would need a small forest to get much pH benefit, and appropriately lighting it may be costly. However, they are cool so I would say, go for it.
 
I expect you would need a small forest to get much pH benefit, and appropriately lighting it may be costly. However, they are cool so I would say, go for it.
I was actually thinking about how many I could house at the moment and I think I could do about 8 of them, even if they don’t offer much they are cheap and cool so I’m gonna go for it haha! The struggle of basement tanks is the constant 7.7 ph I’m fighting. It could be a blessing it could be a curse, the only things I can’t keep are hairy mushrooms and acros and sensitive sps like acros.
 
i got a co2 scrubber and opened a basement window. ph is steady 8.3. The media is lasting longer than I thought it would and Im not even recirculating it.

Thinking of doing a mangrove just for fun as well. But I dont think they will do much for ph.
 
I cannot imagine mangroves are detectably useful for this purpose, just as multiple houseplants in a room provide a trivially small benefit. Much too little CO2 consumes relative to the massive inputs a typical home has.
 
Plants will also contribute co2 during the night.
 
I was actually thinking about how many I could house at the moment and I think I could do about 8 of them, even if they don’t offer much they are cheap and cool so I’m gonna go for it haha! The struggle of basement tanks is the constant 7.7 ph I’m fighting. It could be a blessing it could be a curse, the only things I can’t keep are hairy mushrooms and acros and sensitive sps like acros.

Do you have a skimmer(s)? Have you tried running a line to them from outside for air?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 3 10.7%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 5 17.9%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 1 3.6%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 15 53.6%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new