Accidental chaeto qt?

RobberyinCSharp1824

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up some chaeto from my LFS last week. Stupid me, I bagged it in a ziplock and submerged it to temp acclimate, but I forgot to actually put it in the tank (my schedule/life has been chaotic lately).

I'm trying to figure out if this counts as the 7day qt period, or if I have to actually remove the original water it came in for the clock to start ticking?

OP
OP
RobberyinCSharp1824

RobberyinCSharp1824

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't QT anything!

Set it free!
Haha, I did that with this tank originally. Plopped a pair of DaVinci clowns in my tank with corals that weren't qt'ed and ended up with ich! I'm being careful from now on lol

Viva'sReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I picked up some chaeto from my LFS last week. Stupid me, I bagged it in a ziplock and submerged it to temp acclimate, but I forgot to actually put it in the tank (my schedule/life has been chaotic lately).

I'm trying to figure out if this counts as the 7day qt period, or if I have to actually remove the original water it came in for the clock to start ticking?
is it even still alive after leaving it in a sealed ziplock for a week? I'd give it a good rinse in a bucket of Ro/Di. Beat the hell out of it in there to remove anything trapped inside the chaeto ball. Then add it. that's if it's still alive

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I was really dismayed this past weekend - went to two "decent" LFS in my area, the first time in over a year. wanted to buy some shrimp and CUC. I got nothing - both stores had fish mixed in with their coral and inverts and in every system, I could identify active disease! My understanding is that you can buy Chaeto cultures online that have been grown in fishless systems...

There is no such thing as an effective 7 day plant/invert quarantine - either rinse the subject off really well with fresh mixed seawater and hope of the best or hold it in a fishless system for 45 days. The big issue is Neobenedenia fluke eggs - they have sticky tendrils, and grab onto everything. Just one eggs can start an active disease in your fish if moved over with an invert or plant.

Jay

OP
OP
RobberyinCSharp1824

RobberyinCSharp1824

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is it even still alive after leaving it in a sealed ziplock for a week? I'd give it a good rinse in a bucket of Ro/Di. Beat the hell out of it in there to remove anything trapped inside the chaeto ball. Then add it. that's if it's still alive
Shockingly, yes!
I was really dismayed this past weekend - went to two "decent" LFS in my area, the first time in over a year. wanted to buy some shrimp and CUC. I got nothing - both stores had fish mixed in with their coral and inverts and in every system, I could identify active disease! My understanding is that you can buy Chaeto cultures online that have been grown in fishless systems...

There is no such thing as an effective 7 day plant/invert quarantine - either rinse the subject off really well with fresh mixed seawater and hope of the best or hold it in a fishless system for 45 days. The big issue is Neobenedenia fluke eggs - they have sticky tendrils, and grab onto everything. Just one eggs can start an active disease in your fish if moved over with an invert or plant.

Jay
I would be performing a 16 day qt, as recommended by Humblefish and his coral / invert protocol

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shockingly, yes!

I would be performing a 16 day qt, as recommended by Humblefish and his coral / invert protocol
However, as I said, that is not long enough for Neobenedenia eggs. 45 days is required for that. Neo is a huge issue for some fish, and 16 days is too short of a period of time. If the eggs weren’t sticky it might be less of an issue, but they glom on to everything.
Jay

OP
OP
RobberyinCSharp1824

RobberyinCSharp1824

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
However, as I said, that is not long enough for Neobenedenia eggs. 45 days is required for that. Neo is a huge issue for some fish, and 16 days is too short of a period of time. If the eggs weren’t sticky it might be less of an issue, but they glom on to everything.
Jay
Yikes! Thank you for the heads up!

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 73 43.7%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 59 35.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 24 14.4%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.2%
Back