Bacterial Infection in QT

  • Thread starter Thread starter Reefer1978
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
5/7 Update: Happy to report the eye is looking much better. Tonight I am adding Kanaplex dose 2. They reacted well to Prazi powder, no visible impact to feeding, everyone is still eating everything I throw in the tank. Mixing Prazi was more difficult than I expected, magnetic stirer on full power for 1 hour (1/4 tsp in 1L of water) and there were still tiny particles mixing.
 
Would anyone know what these new white spots are?

IMG_8651.jpeg
IMG_8650.jpeg
 
you should be into 20 some days of copper, correct? Did that fish get the full prazipro dosage yet. monitor the spots - if they stay in the same place it could be mucus or an injury. If they are moving around, it could be ich - but I don't see how. I would continue your same protocol. until all fish have had 2, 8 day treatments of prazipro as well as finishing the copper
 
you should be into 20 some days of copper, correct? Did that fish get the full prazipro dosage yet. monitor the spots - if they stay in the same place it could be mucus or an injury. If they are moving around, it could be ich - but I don't see how. I would continue your same protocol. until all fish have had 2, 8 day treatments of prazipro as well as finishing the copper
I don't think it's ich, they are too raised. I have one more prazi (I am using powder, not prazipro) dose to go this weekend. I am going to be ready to move him to DT in 6 days.
 
Would anyone know what these new white spots are?

IMG_8651.jpeg
IMG_8650.jpeg

Those look like mucus plugs. Basically, a fish's skin cells produce extra mucus in response to some irritation. Sometimes, these are idiopathic and of no consequence, other times they are a result of some infection, but you can't really tell just by the way they look.

Are these localized just on the fish's left side, or are there some on the other side as well?
Does the fish currently show any other symptoms?
 
Those look like mucus plugs. Basically, a fish's skin cells produce extra mucus in response to some irritation. Sometimes, these are idiopathic and of no consequence, other times they are a result of some infection, but you can't really tell just by the way they look.

Are these localized just on the fish's left side, or are there some on the other side as well?
Does the fish currently show any other symptoms?
Just the left side. The only other part that’s a little odd, his mouth is open. Otherwise Popeye seems to be getting better.
 
Watanabei continues to kick my butt. Treatment was completed and I transferred him to DT, where he seems to be deteriorating.

Symptoms:
  • Rred gills
  • Second eye is popping
  • One of pectoral fins is almost gone, red at the base
  • He's not eating

My thought are either to leave him alone for a few more days, or transfer back to QT for 3 weeks of antibiotics. He already went through a triple dose of Kanaplex, I am thinking 3 weekly doses of Neoplex.

1716140747112.png
 
Watanabei continues to kick my butt. Treatment was completed and I transferred him to DT, where he seems to be deteriorating.

Symptoms:
  • Rred gills
  • Second eye is popping
  • One of pectoral fins is almost gone, red at the base
  • He's not eating

My thought are either to leave him alone for a few more days, or transfer back to QT for 3 weeks of antibiotics. He already went through a triple dose of Kanaplex, I am thinking 3 weekly doses of Neoplex.

1716140747112.png

Any fish picking on it?
Is it breathing rapidly?
For sure it isn't going to make it in the DT, so I'd move it back for treatment.
 
Any fish picking on it?
Is it breathing rapidly?
For sure it isn't going to make it in the DT, so I'd move it back for treatment.
Thank you @Jay Hemdal . He's transferred, with a small stop in fresh water... Flukes are still present... Looks like Prazi failed.

Which anti-biotic would you recommend, and safe to assume you are recommending hypo vs. more prazi?
 
Thank you @Jay Hemdal . He's transferred, with a small stop in fresh water... Flukes are still present... Looks like Prazi failed.

Which anti-biotic would you recommend, and safe to assume you are recommending hypo vs. more prazi?

If you saw Neobenedenia, then, yes, I would suggest hyposalinity for that - I use a specific gravity of 1.012 for 30 days. You'll need to do that with all fish that were exposed to this one though.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 3 10.0%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 5 16.7%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 1 3.3%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 4 13.3%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 16 53.3%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new