Accidental salt water tank owner

Geekrock84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always been scared of starting a salt water tank because they seem like quite the undertaking compared to a freshwater tank (of which I have 4) but after purchasing a "fresh water moray" only to bring it home and find out it's actually a marine moray, I had no other choice but to start a saltwater tank.

Months later, the tank and moray are doing well, I added an anemone and two hermit crabs which will be the only creatures I have until I upgrade to a 55 gallon this summer.

Currently learning how to care for a larger tank and slowly buying the required accessories. Not going to lie, I'm a little nervous and hope I'm doing everything correctly but reading the threads on this site have really helped me get as far as I have and I LOVE looking at everyone's tanks and how beautiful they are.

If you have any suggestions for a newbie salt water owner, I'd love to hear them!

20220416_180124.jpg 20220420_165525.jpg

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow - nevermind having to dive off the deep-end, this is having to cliff-dive! Tank looks great (and so does the eel and anemone, which looks to be a condy). Frequent water changes, regular testing and trying to keep your parameters as steady as possible are the best advice I can extend. Good luck with the new hobby!

OP
OP
Geekrock84

Geekrock84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow - nevermind having to dive off the deep-end, this is having to cliff-dive! Tank looks great (and so does the eel and anemone, which looks to be a condy). Frequent water changes, regular testing and trying to keep your parameters as steady as possible are the best advice I can extend. Good luck with the new hobby!

Right! I was all excited to go home with my new fresh water moray and while I was acclimating it to my big tank I decided to double check what the LFS told me because it looked like the eel was having problems breathing. Luckily I did! It was not the species they told me (it's an Indian Mud Moray) and it cannot be left in a freshwater tank for long periods but needs at least brackish or a marine tank. Just to be sure, I posted it to Reddit's reef sub and everyone confirmed that it was indeed a marine moray.

I was sure he was going to die within the first two days because I had to slowly mix in the salt water and do a fish in cycle but just after a few days I could tell he was doing a lot better. No more open mouthed gasping for air and he finally settled in under the rocks instead of surfing the glass looking for a way out. A few months later and he's still here and doing well!

If anything, I would say that they're a pretty hardy fish that is able to handle less than steller water conditions for a period of time.

The only thing I haven't figured out yet is what to name him!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 138 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back