accidentally dosed a lot of Ca solution in my tank - how to fix / remediate it?

Acalin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, all,

I had a short circuit between my chair and my keyboard earlier today.
Accidentally, I switched my Neptune Apex Ca dosing to "ON" instead of "AUTO" and by the time I realized it, about 400 ml of Ca solution were added to my tank.
This made my Ca readings to go from 411 ppm to 793 ppm.

I have a Red Sea 250, which is a 65 gal tank, including the sump. With all the rocks and equipment, I'll assume I have about 60 gal of water in total.
So once I say my Ca readings, I quickly did a 10 gal water change, which brought my Ca readings down by only 35 ppm, to 758 ppm.

With quite a way to go down to my 400 range, can you suggest any solution to speed this up?
I don't want to add lower salinity water, because I have corals (a mix of zoas, xenia, SPS and an acan), so I don't want to stress them.
I did notice one of my Millleporas started to discharge those gel strings (you know similar to when you feed them, but I don't know what that discharge is called).

So I am looking for a solution that would reduce my calcium, while not stressing the corals or the fish.
Any suggestions?

I've read that even at higher concentrations Ca should be ok and consumed over time, but I am concerned with this value being way too high.
Bottom line is that if this value is not harming the corals, I can live with it. However, if it triggers a chain reaction, I need to know what to expect and what to keep an eye on for supplementing or removing.

Below is a screenshot with my readings as of 20 minutes ago. Where you see the spike in salinity, temp and ph is where I've done the water change.

1676502090948.png

Thank you, as always, in advance for your advice!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only real options are to do nothing except dose alkalinity as needed along with whatever normal water changes you do.

or

Do the above along with some accelerated water changes.

In a small tank I'd go with accelerated water changes since they are cheap and easy.
In a big tank, I'd go with option 1 since water changes are expensive and a pain.

In a 65 gallons, its sort of in the middle. I expect things will be fine either way.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 25 80.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back