Accidentally dropped salinity. How can I fix quickly?

the_chef_pierre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, as I decided to clean out my ATO tonight it somehow leaked out a bunch of water out of the pump and hose and then refilled what it lost with RODI water right after. This ended up dropping my salinity on my 30 gal to 1.023. I dont have anything in my tank right now other than a few snails and a poly that hitchhiked in. Just finished cycling and am waiting for bryopsis treatment to finish before doing a water change. Would I be able to just slip a little salt into the tank near the circulator since I dont have anything but snails in there right now or do I have to actually empty water and top off with higher concentration salt water? Any help would be appreciated

GabeM

King of... something.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The levels aren't dangerous so you shouldn't fix quickly - you just have a few snails but it will be a good lesson in making adjustments in parameters slowly.

Like @Retro Reefer said just put salt water in your ATO and check daily until it is back to desired.

OP
OP
T

the_chef_pierre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why is it bad to just add some actual salt to the tank? It wasnt too much water that came out and I usually keep it around 1.025 so it only went down by 1.023. If i had any saltwater made i could adjust but i dont right now

OP
OP
T

the_chef_pierre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know its not good to add salt directly to the aquarium, especially if theres livestock in it, but i dont have much in there now and since its such a small adjustment wouldnt it be doable? It would be easier than me making saltwater for such a slight correction as I need to make some next week to help clear out the fluconazole treatment I administered a few weeks ago. All my other levels are good right now, only thing that concerns me is the drop in salinity

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why is it bad to just add some actual salt to the tank? It wasnt too much water that came out and I usually keep it around 1.025 so it only went down by 1.023. If i had any saltwater made i could adjust but i dont right now

Salt mixes are designed to dissolve quickly in water. This chemical reaction is harmful.

OP
OP
T

the_chef_pierre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so since i dont really have much in there right now, would it be ok to just leave it for a week until i do my water change after the fluconazole treatment is done and then add higher salinity water at that time? I just dont want to have to put higher salinity water in my ATO, especially since theres hardly any livestock in my tank

OP
OP
T

the_chef_pierre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Yeah, I'm going to do that. Seriously, I dont know how I managed to spill water everywhere today. I think it was my bright idea of trying to clean out my ATO and forgetting that the hose and pump were probably full of water. Still strange that so much water came out that it literally had to add in a lot of water back to the tank once I set it all up again

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back