How long can I store newly made salt water?

hsp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think what Randy writes about storing salt mixes with organics can be seen in this video:

- Coral Pro: make it just before use
- Red Sea Salt: store for up to 7 days
They say also: Mix not for more than 2 hours!

But when you listen to BRS-tv:
They say you need to mix for 6 to 24 hours:
The link below jumps to the right spot in the video:

Go figure!

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep regular purple box IO for up to 2 months before I use it all up. And RO/DI for up to 5 months. Never had an issue with either.

fishkat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I've read some of the posts about this but I'm still not clear on this topic. I have a 4-stage RODI system and make approx. 50 gallons of salt water every week with Instant Ocean salt. I've been trying to get the nitrates down in my recently purchased/moved tank and I've been doing 50% changes on my 100G tank weekly. My nitrates have gone down a lot (off the charts to the 40-50 range) and I'm trying to back off to every other week water changes.

I don't always measure how much I remove from the tank exactly with how much water I make, so I sometimes end up with a little extra. Last week I stored some of the extra salt water in a 4 gallon water jug with a cap (pic below). It was warmed to 80 at the time of the change, but has been sitting at room temp for over a week. I'm hoping to use this water for top-offs between water changes.

Questions:

-How long can I store this salt water without circulating or aerating?

- How long can you store fresh RODI water in these jugs?

Thanks for your help!

1712492937088.png
Don't use salt water for top-offs. It will raise the salinity!! RODI water or saline can be stored indefinitely
in a sealed container in a dark place (algae and mold spores are everywhere). Also, you need to find out why the nitrates went up so high- feeding too much, not cleaning your sand bed, not enough cleaning crew, etc. Do you have enough chaeto and enough light in your refugium or sump to
consume the nitrates?

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 59 73.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back