Can I warm up salt water on stove?

sonalichitnis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the school project we have setup 8 tanks which contain about 2 gallons of salt water. Each tank has some rocks and 5-10 Aiptasia anemones.
We use store bought salt water and use submersible heaters to maintain temperature between 78F-80F.
Now the issue is, we need to change water every 2 days for the experiment.
Being in PNW and due to cold weather by the time we transport water from store to the lab, it gets cold and takes time to warm up.
Can I warm up store bought salt water on a stove to bring it to78F and use it to replace water in the tank?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how much water are you changing per 2 gallon? If its the standard 10%-15% water change, then a little cold water won't bother aptaisia.

Are you caring for them? What is the experiment? sorry I'm just curious.....

wanderer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I would warm up water on a stove top. If you have stainless steel or cast iron you’re not likely to get a ton of dissolved solids in the water. I wouldn’t boil salt water as it is more likely to react than water

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bes sure to not overheat. Heating will drive off gases such as CO2 (raising pH) and O2.

Calcium carbonate will also precipitate from hot salt water since it is less soluble in warmer water (and the pH effect is a doubly whammy).

OP
OP
S

sonalichitnis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how much water are you changing per 2 gallon? If its the standard 10%-15% water change, then a little cold water won't bother aptaisia.

Are you caring for them? What is the experiment? sorry I'm just curious.....
It is for a high school research project and water will contain some checmials. So, we need to change all the water so we can add new chemicals for next round of experiment. Now we are planning to keep water in an empty tank with heater and air pump so it is warm when we want to replace.

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use a powerhead instead of the air pump. Bubbles breaking will cause salt crust that can mess up the chemistry as well. All you need to do is keep the water moving.

OP
OP
S

sonalichitnis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I would warm up water on a stove top. If you have stainless steel or cast iron you’re not likely to get a ton of dissolved solids in the water. I wouldn’t boil salt water as it is more likely to react than water
Use a powerhead instead of the air pump. Bubbles breaking will cause salt crust that can mess up the chemistry as well. All you need to do is keep the water moving.
Interesting. Do you mean just for the empty tank or even in the experiment tanks?
Our experiments tanks are small and hold 1.5 gallons of water. With the heater and 1 inch air stone (We had air pump sponge filter, but it was taking too much space so replaced with air stone) and 10 Aiptasia there isn't any space left :(

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the school project we have setup 8 tanks which contain about 2 gallons of salt water. Each tank has some rocks and 5-10 Aiptasia anemones.
We use store bought salt water and use submersible heaters to maintain temperature between 78F-80F.
Now the issue is, we need to change water every 2 days for the experiment.
Being in PNW and due to cold weather by the time we transport water from store to the lab, it gets cold and takes time to warm up.
Can I warm up store bought salt water on a stove to bring it to78F and use it to replace water in the tank?
Yes. I would use a stainless pot to be on the safe side.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Gently warming a pot of water on the stove would be fine, sure, though as said above a heater is probably easier. Much harder to accidentally overheat the water and start boiling it off + delaying your water change.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.6%
Back