Accidentally overdosed Bactobalance - Nitrates Phosphates and K elements could go up

RajV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CameraZOOM-20190113185231966.jpg Disaster to be averted . While trying to set my dosers last channel, i tried to prime it multiple times before i realised i was priming the wrong channel and accidentally over dosed Tropic Marin Bactobalance . I wanted to do a 50pc water change but my ro water needs another 4 to 6 hours to generate that amount of water . This will definitely do something to my nitrate and phosphate levels . I am left with no choice but use Phoscorrex. I am going to measure phosphates every hr and dose to rid it. I dont have any magic solution to rid my nitrates. Keeping my fingers crossed . Here is a picture of my tank after one hour of overdose and first dose of Phoscorrex. They look finefso far sees pic below . At this point My LFS is closed . Any remediation if my NitrAtes go up ? Im far away from a 50 pc water change that will happen possibly after 12 hours . Thanks a ton

OP
OP
RajV

RajV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My phosphates had jumped to .2 from .08 and I dosed Phoscorrex. Im not sure when to take the next measurement

OP
OP
RajV

RajV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update overnight after 15 hrs.
My phosphates are zero and my nitrates have been almost wipedout . The water turned cloudy after the light ramped up. Overnight my ph has been gradually dropping . My zoas have mostly closed up and my duncans are shrinking. SPS mostly is resilient for now. To diffuse the overdose of Bactobalance , i started running activated carbon , increased my skimmer. The 50 pc water is getting ready. Was totally unprepared for a one go 50pc change.
IMG_20190114_120930.jpg IMG_20190114_120907.jpg IMG_20190114_120946.jpg IMG_20190114_120902.jpg

afartindolphin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aiming a powerhead towards the surface will help aerate. The WC will be diluting your nutrients even more, coral foods like reef roids are good phosphate boosters in my experience, though I'm not sure how that will interplay with all the extra bacteria.

GAC if you haven't been running it beforehand might cause increased light penetration => higher PAR, maybe consider reducing photo intensity or period if so.

Watch for decreased alkalinity uptake could cause a spike, test and adjust your doser if necessary.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RajV

RajV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aiming a powerhead towards the surface will help aerate. The WC will be diluting your nutrients even more, coral foods like reef roids are good phosphate boosters in my experience, though I'm not sure how that will interplay with all the extra bacteria.

GAC if you haven't been running it beforehand might cause increased light penetration => higher PAR, maybe consider reducing photo intensity or period if so.

Watch for decreased alkalinity uptake could cause a spike, test and adjust your doser if necessary.
Thank you for your inputs , can you please explain this a bit more

GAC if you haven't been running it beforehand might cause increased light penetration => higher PAR, maybe consider reducing photo intensity or period if so

I just completed a 50 percent change it took almost 24 hrs . I was totally unprepared for this , now I am and learnt a lot.

afartindolphin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your inputs , can you please explain this a bit more

GAC if you haven't been running it beforehand might cause increased light penetration => higher PAR, maybe consider reducing photo intensity or period if so

I just completed a 50 percent change it took almost 24 hrs . I was totally unprepared for this , now I am and learnt a lot.

Sure thing, you've had quite a fun day it seems, too bad no one was able to help you out yesterday when it happened.

If you haven't run Carbon in the past, it will quickly remove compounds in your water that decrease light penetration. This leads to higher PAR throughout your tank, potentially to a significant degree, that could cause more stress to your corals on top of your current dilemma. If you have controllable LEDs consider turning them down a bit.

Just keep testing and do your best to keep your levels where they were!

afartindolphin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course! Watch out for STN on your acropora in the next week or so. The sudden drop in phosphate might have delayed consequences, but if you've got numbers back to normal by then just keep them steady and it most likely won't cause significant damage.

OP
OP
RajV

RajV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you , in the most unfortunate circumstances i will be away after Wednesday and will have no control beyond getting measurement updates and me telling what next to do . I hope it turn out for the better . The good news after 2 hrs of water change , i can see some zoas n palys open . The bad news is i did not shut the ca alk doser yesterday. As a result my Kh has gone to 10.5 from a stable 9 . I have shut the doser now , all my plans for a peaceful 3 weeks is now not possible. However my son will be taking regular measurement and i will be telling him what next. Here are sone recovery pics

IMG_20190114_203018.jpg

IMG_20190114_202959.jpg

IMG_20190114_203112.jpg

OP
OP
RajV

RajV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@afartindolphin an update 12 hours after water change. The zoas paly duncan are recovering. I forgot to mention, yesterday i had called Mr Hans in Germany, who was kind to take a call and provide his advice . Run carbon, skim more make a huge water change. Here are recovery pics IMG_20190115_103628.jpg IMG_20190115_103113.jpg IMG_20190115_103131.jpg IMG_20190115_103149.jpg IMG_20190115_103137.jpg

OP
OP
RajV

RajV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its now 24 hrs since the water change and 48 hrs since the overdose. My phosphates are .08
My nitrates negligible, i had to dose it . My Kh dropped from 10.5 to 10.2 , close to my normal consumption of .4 . I am waiting for it to return to 9, this should be another 3 days.
The water is clear , all the cloudyness is gone.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 31 33.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 21.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 8.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 25 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back